Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Dean, What did you have before the 150w MH lights? If they were not as bright as your 150w you should either raise the 150w so as to give your animals a chance to acclimate to the new, stronger lights or put some shade cloth or screen between the light and your animals.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Im not really sure what they are called, I think VHO 96watts, 2 at 10k and 2 50/50. The xenias are new but the zoes have been in since the last light. I believe the xenias where under mh where I bought them although I'm not sure on the wattage. I have noticed some hair algea on the zoe frags which I am working on.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are the Zoas as low as they can be placed? If they are then just give them a few days and see what happens.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have had the zoas at upper part of tank and lower part with no change. Once again last night the xenia opened up under moonlight then during the day they closed. I am using a screen to sheild the light also. Could I have to much flow? I have 4 powerheads that are about 800 gph. That would not explain the night openings only on the xenia but could it effect the zoas? I have also tried low flow and high flow areas with no success. At this point I am just going to leave them alone and see what they do. I feel they have to open fully sometime to feed.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tried feeding them. Make a slurry of some shrimp,frozen food and some vitamin C. You could also add crushed garlic to the mix. Turn off all the pumps and squirt some of the mix over the Zoas and a little on the zenia. I have never had any zenias so I am at a lost as you are. Let the tank stay without the power heads and the main pump on for ~1/2 hour and see what happens. I would do this on a day that you plan to do a PWC as this type of feeding can overload your bio-system.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Has the placement in the tank changed since you added the new light?
You roughly doubled the light intensity. When you do that you either need to start with the lights mounted about 50% higher (aprox) as the old lights (inverse square law). Then drop them down weekly over the course of a month.

Inverse Square Law = An object that is twice the distance from a point source of light will receive a quarter of the illumination.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I did not move them when the light was first installed but did shortly after. I will try feeding them directly and see what happens. Do you guys feed them normally like that? I was told to feed phyto-feast and the directions say to just squirt it into the tank.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

The fixture is a current usa. The bulbs/tubes came with it. Are they any good? I had one go bad already.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Zoas don't eat:phyto-feast and you will only foul the tank with it.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

You're probably best not feeding them anything specific as they are filter feeders and will grab bits out of the passing water.

You may want to feed the tank some Cyclop-eeze or ZoPlan or PhytoPlan, but not Phyto-Feast. Use the product about once or twice a week and in very small quantities.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com