Got new lighting, and new question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deanp88

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 125g 6' tank and I have just upgraded my lighting from under 400 watts to 834watts including mh bulbs. Much brighter. My question is, I have some zoas and a feather duster that have closed up since the new light has been installed 2 days now. Are they just adjusting to the new light or is there a problem? The zoas are are near the bottom of the tank now and so is the duster. The tank is only about 3 months old so there are things that I was told not to add at this point which brings me to my other question. I realize you must cycle your tank and then you can begin to add things but what happens in the tank during the period between the tank being cycled and say a year to make the tank ready for not so hardy corals?

That clears up the time issue for me. Thanks for the post! When you are just getting into the hobby or just starting a new tank you want one of everything.

A feather duster isn't going to care much. As far as I've read, worms only have photo receptors. They only see light or dark.

I would move corals down or put mesh to lower the light output for a few days to acclimate the corals.

This hobby must be similar to an addiction for some. I was lucky enough to get a 125 gallon tank with stand and hood, wet/dry filter system, protein skimmer, rock (uncured), and some lights for $200 and thought I was doing good. Now after several trips to the lfs at $50-$200 each I just dropped $1300 on lighting system, powerheads and asm skimmer. Does it ever end? I would be interested in knowing how much some of the guys here have invested in their set-up.

Corals are at the lowest point so I will try the mesh approach. Thank you.

This hobby must be similar to an addiction for some. I was lucky enough to get a 125 gallon tank with stand and hood, wet/dry filter system, protein skimmer, rock (uncured), and some lights for $200 and thought I was doing good. Now after several trips to the lfs at $50-$200 each I just dropped $1300 on lighting system, powerheads and asm skimmer. Does it ever end? I would be interested in knowing how much some of the guys here have invested in their set-up.

Dean I personaly stop counting how much I've spent. I have a 90 gallon lets just say probably about $4000 so far invested into it. Still Spending ....:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

I've done at least $2,000 + just to get started and that was 2 years ago. Like jose I have stopped counting.

Could new 150 W MH lights be to bright for some zoas or even a xenia? Some of mine stay half closed during lighting.

Hi Dean, What did you have before the 150w MH lights? If they were not as bright as your 150w you should either raise the 150w so as to give your animals a chance to acclimate to the new, stronger lights or put some shade cloth or screen between the light and your animals.

Im not really sure what they are called, I think VHO 96watts, 2 at 10k and 2 50/50. The xenias are new but the zoes have been in since the last light. I believe the xenias where under mh where I bought them although I'm not sure on the wattage. I have noticed some hair algea on the zoe frags which I am working on.

Are the Zoas as low as they can be placed? If they are then just give them a few days and see what happens.

I have had the zoas at upper part of tank and lower part with no change. Once again last night the xenia opened up under moonlight then during the day they closed. I am using a screen to sheild the light also. Could I have to much flow? I have 4 powerheads that are about 800 gph. That would not explain the night openings only on the xenia but could it effect the zoas? I have also tried low flow and high flow areas with no success. At this point I am just going to leave them alone and see what they do. I feel they have to open fully sometime to feed.

Have you tried feeding them. Make a slurry of some shrimp,frozen food and some vitamin C. You could also add crushed garlic to the mix. Turn off all the pumps and squirt some of the mix over the Zoas and a little on the zenia. I have never had any zenias so I am at a lost as you are. Let the tank stay without the power heads and the main pump on for ~1/2 hour and see what happens. I would do this on a day that you plan to do a PWC as this type of feeding can overload your bio-system.

Has the placement in the tank changed since you added the new light?
You roughly doubled the light intensity. When you do that you either need to start with the lights mounted about 50% higher (aprox) as the old lights (inverse square law). Then drop them down weekly over the course of a month.

Inverse Square Law = An object that is twice the distance from a point source of light will receive a quarter of the illumination.

I did not move them when the light was first installed but did shortly after. I will try feeding them directly and see what happens. Do you guys feed them normally like that? I was told to feed phyto-feast and the directions say to just squirt it into the tank.

The fixture is a current usa. The bulbs/tubes came with it. Are they any good? I had one go bad already.

Zoas don't eat:phyto-feast and you will only foul the tank with it.

You're probably best not feeding them anything specific as they are filter feeders and will grab bits out of the passing water.

You may want to feed the tank some Cyclop-eeze or ZoPlan or PhytoPlan, but not Phyto-Feast. Use the product about once or twice a week and in very small quantities.

Back
Top Bottom