Got the co2 tank, but is the regulator useful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could probably rig it up, but IMO it would cost as much, if not more, than purchasing a regulator designed for planted aquarium use. You can get an MA957 which includes the regulator, solenoid, needle valve, bubble counter, and 10' of co2 tubing for $89 shipped at eseasongear.com.

I have an old co2 bottle with a Binks reg and moisture catch can (?) from my old airbrushing days, but can I use it for controlling co2 into my future tank?

Darn app sent before posting pics :p.

(If a mod can delete the first post, that'd be great :D)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110610_193419.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110610_193419.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 108
  • ForumRunner_20110610_193438.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110610_193438.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 85
mfdrookie516 said:
You could probably rig it up, but IMO it would cost as much, if not more, than purchasing a regulator designed for planted aquarium use. You can get an MA957 which includes the regulator, solenoid, needle valve, bubble counter, and 10' of co2 tubing for $89 shipped at eseasongear.com.

That was quick (y)

The solenoid it to shut it down at night? I was gonna get the 3fer bubble counters that you and fort get and I have coiled tubing. This tanks gonna be down and dirty (free 40 breeder) tank for farming plants and not a DT.

Make sure the tubing is co2 resistent. Co2 eats at typical airline tubing (eventually causing failure).

The solenoid is an on/off switch. When it has power, it allows flow. So, yes, it's to shut it off (at night, or whenever). The needle valve regulates the flow. And, the bubble counter... well, it lets you count the bubbles. To make your regulator work, you would need to figure out how to attach the needle valve and bubble counter. But, a solenoid is a must IMO. You can't leave the co2 on all night as it will build up too much. Even without fish, too much co2 is bad for plants. In a constant cycle, it would build up too much at night, and if regulated down, would cause fluctuations meaning BBA heaven. I just can't see you rigging that regulator up to be efficient, practical, and cost efficient. But, maybe someone else has a better idea?

mfdrookie516 said:
Make sure the tubing is co2 resistent. Co2 eats at typical airline tubing (eventually causing failure).

The solenoid is an on/off switch. When it has power, it allows flow. So, yes, it's to shut it off (at night, or whenever). The needle valve regulates the flow. And, the bubble counter... well, it lets you count the bubbles. To make your regulator work, you would need to figure out how to attach the needle valve and bubble counter. But, a solenoid is a must IMO. You can't leave the co2 on all night as it will build up too much. Even without fish, too much co2 is bad for plants. In a constant cycle, it would build up too much at night, and if regulated down, would cause fluctuations meaning BBA heaven. I just can't see you rigging that regulator up to be efficient, practical, and cost efficient. But, maybe someone else has a better idea?

Yep, the tubing is co2 safe. Darn, I thought that the binks part was a needle valve too since I could cut the flow down to nothing when I'd do fine detail painting.

OK, thanks Rookie!

Back
Top Bottom