Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

A 1" gravity drain will be about 600 gph. A 3/4" will be considerably less, though I don't have the number handy. You really need to use the Bernoulli equation to calculate the actual number.

Yes, you need to match a pump to the overflow. Use a valve on the return line to cut back the flow if necessary.

Someone already has you covered on the head loss aspect.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
A 1" gravity drain will be about 600 gph. A 3/4" will be considerably less, though I don't have the number handy. You really need to use the Bernoulli equation to calculate the actual number.

Yes, you need to match a pump to the overflow. Use a valve on the return line to cut back the flow if necessary.

Someone already has you covered on the head loss aspect.
Cmor I have the eshopps 800 which has a 1" u tube and delivers 800gph which is why i would have thought 3/4 would do with the pump he has
A 3/4 gravity pipe will deliver 660gph
Here's where I got the flow rates from
http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thanks alot everyone. i have it all set up and the flow rates almost equal. just having trouble pinpointing the exact amount to turn the valves to equal it out exactly. im marking my waterline in the sump and it varies slightly every hour or so, causing me to have to adjust the valve ever so slightly. i guess persistance and patience will do the trick here

edit... wow just realized how repetitive this comment was lol
Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I see they added that gravity feed on that site. I've always gone by the 600 gph for a 1" overflow, but I may have been wrong.

@mistmatch: You lose water due to evaporation in the sump. Are you sure that's not what you are seeing? You need to add RODI water daily to make up for the water lost due to evaporation.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would also said so...its due to evaporation....its either u get a auto top off (ATO) or u can add it manually....u dont need to adjust your valve....just stick with it and do add RO water when its below your mark....
Old 01-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermismatch
i have just built a sump for my 55 and a DIY pvc overflow.
What kind of DIY over flow do you have. I have seen his before where people do not have an over flow at all but simply have water being siphoned out of the tank into the sump with pvc. In this case the return pump needs to match the exact amout of water being siphoned out. When it does not match the water level in the sump rises and falls depending on the adjustment. The people spend hours turning ball valves to match the flow.

Is this your situation?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have any photo's of your setup,you shouldn't need to keep adjusting the valve,how have you made your syphon,if you turn off your return pump water from the dt will keep flowing down to your sump until an air break,make sure you drill 2 holes in your return pipe just below water level in dt,does your overflow box hold the syphon when return pump is off.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by six2sevenproductions View Post
What kind of DIY over flow do you have. I have seen his before where people do not have an over flow at all but simply have water being siphoned out of the tank into the sump with pvc. In this case the return pump needs to match the exact amout of water being siphoned out. When it does not match the water level in the sump rises and falls depending on the adjustment. The people spend hours turning ball valves to match the flow.

Is this your situation?
that won't work....there are too many variables to consider. i hope that's not your situation!
Old 01-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

I hadn't considered that possibility. As Doug stated, there are too many variables at work to make that situation stable.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

DIY Overflow Using Only PVC Pipe (DIY OVERFLOW PROJECTS)

its similar to this except with a valve before the water hits the sump. the return has a tee with a valve to return extra water to the sump to adjust the return flow. i dont think its evaporation. the water level changes too quickly for that to be an option. for instance: i marked a line at the top of the return chamber last night and this morning the water was barely over the top of the pump and it was making a slurping sound.

Tags
flow, gph, overflow, siphon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com