Gravel and substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peacock147

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have any suggestions what the best gravel is, I have 55 with small river rocks and other tanks with regular gravel is there a better gravel or a recommend one, or is it just a matter of preference. I see some people have the sand , looks good but how is it when it comes to live plants and cleaning( vacuuming when doing water change) ?

Some people say sand is just as good for plants. I have no experience with growing plants in sand. Cleaning is not difficult though. With sand, the waste just sits on top, you just vacuum the surface of the sand when you do water changes. you should also periodically run your fingers through the sand all the way down to the bottom to get trapped gasses out.

Ok thanks. I guess as long as I'm using the plant fertilizer and have some clay buy the roots the plants should be good in sand

I have black blasting sand in my 30 and love it. I have pool filter sand in my 5 gal and its good. I also have ecocomplete in my planted 20. I really like the black blasting sand. You could add root tabs and it'd be ok for plants.

That's cool, any pics? I'm working getting a 120 gal in the new year as I will need it for my peacock bass soon. I will defiantly be using a sand this time, the river rocks look nice in my 60 gal but sand looks easier to clean and easier for my bottom dwellers to get food

That's cool, any pics? I'm working getting a 120 gal in the new year as I will need it for my peacock bass soon. I will defiantly be using a sand this time, the river rocks look nice in my 60 gal but sand looks easier to clean and easier for my bottom dwellers to get food

Sorry it took so long to reply. Here are some pics.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387467158.982763.jpg
5 gal with pfs
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387467200.059263.jpg
30 gal with black blasting sand
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387467234.571756.jpg
20 gal with Ecocomplete (this isn't really sand though)

Substrate Question

Anyone have any suggestions what the best gravel is, I have 55 with small river rocks and other tanks with regular gravel is there a better gravel or a recommend one, or is it just a matter of preference. I see some people have the sand , looks good but how is it when it comes to live plants and cleaning( vacuuming when doing water change) ?

Hello P...

I use pea sized gravel. It doesn't compact and create water chemistry problems like sand. It's polished, so it's fine for a popular fish like Corydoras. The irregular shapes allow for good water flow to allow rooted plants to get proper nourishment. It's inexpensive and easily cleaned so it doesn't cloud the tank water. It's colorful, so blends with whatever aquascaping you like.

Planted tanks don't require vacuuming. The plant and fish material that settles to the bottom dissolves and nourishes the plants. The excess that may cause water chemistry problems is easily removed with large, frequent water changes.

B

Back
Top Bottom