Gravel change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WattsySSFC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to do a complete change of my gravel with sand (probably pool filter sand) in a tank that is already established with about 13 fish and is planted.

Any tips on the safest/ most efficient way to do this without harming my fish or plants and avoiding any disturbance in the stability of my tank. (freshwater). Any help is appreciated. Even a complete run down on how i should go about it. Thanks.

greetings.

when i had all the gravel up from my tank i put my fish in a small 10g tank with filter and heater(+driftwood w/ anubias on it), and the plants submerged in buckets. you could probably store the fish in a bucket or something similar aswell, but a heater is definitely important.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing next month. If it helps, here's my plan (and hopefully if it's bad someone will say so).

Wash sand in buckets until the water is clear. These sand-buckets won't be used again in this process.
Vacuum 50% of the aquarium water to other "tank buckets".
Move fish and plants to "tank buckets".
Vacuum remaining aquarium water to "tank buckets".
Scoop out gravel and add sand.
Put 50% of the "tank bucket" water back into the aquarium.
Put the fish and plants back into the aquarium.
Put the remaining "tank bucket" water back into the aquarium.

Other than the sand-washing, i don't expect the swap to take more than an hour or two, depending on how the sand stays settled. Shouldn't have any need to heat the "tank bucket" water for that short a timespan, it will keep the paramaters the same as the water itself isn't changing, and should have minimal trauma to the fish.

Back
Top Bottom