Gravel Siphon advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
This month I would like to get a gravel siphon for the first time.

What brand do you recommend (I am an Aqueon fan), what size do I need (or does it matter), and how do you operate one?

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Options are pretty limited here so the only thing I have found is to check that hoses and connections are tight fitting. Nothing worse than a leak.

Options are pretty limited here so the only thing I have found is to check that hoses and connections are tight fitting. Nothing worse than a leak.

Thank you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have both aqueon's the one that hooks to the faucet and the cheep one with the squeeze bulb. Both are 3 years old and still working. I haven't tried any others. If you get the one that hooks to the faucet I recommend getting a brass adapter at a hardware store because the plastic one they give with it is cheap and cross threads easily.

The biggest factor in siphoning effectiveness is the water level drop. I attach mine to a long garden hose going out into the backyard, sloping down away from the house. It get about a 10 foot drop and has really good suction. OTOH, the tank in the basement only drops about 6 feet to the floor drain and has about half the suction power.

Back
Top Bottom