Gravel siphon hand pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm pretty sure most of the people here already have a good system for gravel vacuuming, but I thought I might as well share this. I didn't know this thing existed until earlier while walking through my favorite LFS.

Squeeze

I think it is amazing. It worked immediately. Only probably I had was I accidentally grabbed one of my ghost shrimp and he was difficult to get out...

Anyway, if you have just the self-starting siphon, get this bulb to go along with it. It's basically the same thing you use with pipettes (sorry, nerd moment).

That is amazing. I don't mind siphoning my gravel but it is quite annoying when you accidentally get some water out so it doesn't work and you have to re-fill it...I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the squeeze things works but it sounds like a good idea

It's most likely just a pair of one-way valves. Pretty simple in design, but effective. They use things like that on boat gas tanks for outboard motors.

I did buy this several months ago but couldn't figure out how to get it to work. Does the hand pump have to be attached in the middle of the line? I had mine right before the bucket but couldn't get the siphon going properly.

I have the pump attached to the end of the tubing, so the water goes through it last before it goes into the bucket. I just squeezed it like 2-3 times and it would suck the water out. I'm not sure what problem you are having. Explain more, maybe?

I don't know why I can't get it to work. I have tried with the vacumm attachment and just the open end of the tube inside the tank. 20 squeezes later, nothing happens.

Inside the handpump is just a small white ball. Am I missing another piece?

Have you tried putting the siphon tube in with the hose unattached, letting it fill up, and then reattaching the hose? Then you just pump it up and down a couple times to get the water flowing. That's what I just figured out works better for me 2 weeks ago.
When you shake it up and down, do you hear the ball moving? If not, that is most likely the problem.

Try holding the bulb so the ends are vertical. That ball is your valve. If you hold it horizontally, it's possible that the ball won't seal as it's supposed to.

Okay, got it figured out. The ball was inside of the pump and not in the little connector at the output. No wonder, there was no suction being created.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom