Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

O well u can only try to teach people

Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here u go.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/pr.../grounding.htm

Old 11-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

If there is any device leaking voltage, it should not be used. And I agree, in the case of stray voltage, grounding is not a solution.

--Adeeb
adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I am not doubting your knowledge of electrical systems, but I imagine most people would ignore, and rarely take advice from individuals who do not use proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, etc... just a commentary on the state of internet forums in general.

It seems entirely logical to me that adding a ground would only exacerbate a situation, adding further current to the situation.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:11 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
60volts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thras View Post
And it amazes me at how little people know about grounding u are creating a path for current to go to there for if lets say that power head has a small voltage leak of 60volts and it finally shorts a ground rod won't cause The breaker to short but instead create 120v with enough amps to kill you your fish are going to be ok because there in the water with equal potential but yea I have had a voltage leak of 120 volts instead of adding a ground rod I found the problem and fixed it and no fish where harmed they where swimming in it just fine with nothing bad at all because a tank won't conduct that much electricity
60volts is not low voltage. IMO 24 volts or less is low voltage. I have experience as little as 1.0 volt AC cause a problem in DC controlled system. I'm talking millivolts not Amps. The only time I found 60 volts AC is when the neutral line is open. If I connect my meter to the water in my aquarium and to ground and find any voltage it's a problem.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #16
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
This is an old thread I bookmarked from Reefcentral just for threads like this. Please take the time to read it.
Grounding probe? waste of money? - Reef Central Online Community
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

That was an interesting read, Larry. Thanks for posting it, definitely some great information in there.

For those that don't want to read through the whole thing, the last paragraph basically sums it up...

"So in summary overall the safest for the aquarist will be the installation of AFCI, GFCI and Ground Probe. The safest for the inhabitants will be AFCI and GFCI without ground probe. This is the reason why many aquarist do not use ground probes (but will always use GFCIs) specially traveling ones that stay away for extended periods of time. If you have a remote alarm system installed that may page you or send you an E-Mail in case of a fault (Like the aqua controller from Neptune Systems) you shall have no doubts and have your Probe installed with your GFCI's)"

Credit: Reef Central Online Community - View Single Post - Grounding probe? waste of money?

Tags
probes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com