Ground probes and y they are not useful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thras

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so on different forum I was trolling along and made this statement on a thread and was ignored hopefully I won't be here. Just to clarify I am a electrician and I'm in school for this so I am up to date on electrical systems and how they work. I would like to state why ground probes will not help take stray voltage or a short back to the source witch could be dangerous you or someone you know could die if you have 120v + in you aquarium the only purpose a ground rod has in the electrical system is to remove voltage surges and lightning strikes from your electrical system you can actually take a ground rod and drive it into the ground put the hot side of a circuit on it and it won't trip now it will if u put it on your current ground rod because it is bonded in the panel if u have stray voltage and it's not 120 it shouldn't hurt the dis because they are at the same potential and nothing is grounded so the voltage is not there to them if u ground it it might read zero but it's only because the current is trying to get back to the source(transformer ) through the ground. so it's best to find the equipment that is causing the problem not grounding it

That's why there are GFCI sockets :) I'm sure nobody would leave equipment in their tank if they knew it was malfunctioning or leaking stray voltage.

--Adeeb

That'a what I told the guy on the other forum but they just told him to get a ground rod even after I explained how electricity works it's like I was completely ignored

Have you ever put your hand in your aquarium and received a electrical shock? Not 110 VAC but strong enough to feel it? I have. The stray voltage may be leaking from a power head or a heater. Note "leaking". While it's not a direct short it will cause many problems to the life in a aquarium.
It amazes me how little the average electrician knows about low voltage systems.

Have you ever put your hand in your aquarium and received a electrical shock? Not 110 VAC but strong enough to feel it? I have. The stray voltage may be leaking from a power head or a heater. Note "leaking". While it's not a direct short it will cause many problems to the life in a aquarium.
It amazes me how little the average electrician knows about low voltage systems.

I've heard a simple ground spike can fix that! You see electricity will travel down the path with the least resistance, so a ground rod will easily fix that

ezy33 said:

And it amazes me at how little people know about grounding u are creating a path for current to go to there for if lets say that power head has a small voltage leak of 60volts and it finally shorts a ground rod won't cause The breaker to short but instead create 120v with enough amps to kill you your fish are going to be ok because there in the water with equal potential but yea I have had a voltage leak of 120 volts instead of adding a ground rod I found the problem and fixed it and no fish where harmed they where swimming in it just fine with nothing bad at all because a tank won't conduct that much electricity

If there is any device leaking voltage, it should not be used. And I agree, in the case of stray voltage, grounding is not a solution.

--Adeeb

Last edited:
I am not doubting your knowledge of electrical systems, but I imagine most people would ignore, and rarely take advice from individuals who do not use proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, etc... just a commentary on the state of internet forums in general.

It seems entirely logical to me that adding a ground would only exacerbate a situation, adding further current to the situation.

60volts

And it amazes me at how little people know about grounding u are creating a path for current to go to there for if lets say that power head has a small voltage leak of 60volts and it finally shorts a ground rod won't cause The breaker to short but instead create 120v with enough amps to kill you your fish are going to be ok because there in the water with equal potential but yea I have had a voltage leak of 120 volts instead of adding a ground rod I found the problem and fixed it and no fish where harmed they where swimming in it just fine with nothing bad at all because a tank won't conduct that much electricity

60volts is not low voltage. IMO 24 volts or less is low voltage. I have experience as little as 1.0 volt AC cause a problem in DC controlled system. I'm talking millivolts not Amps. The only time I found 60 volts AC is when the neutral line is open. If I connect my meter to the water in my aquarium and to ground and find any voltage it's a problem.

That was an interesting read, Larry. Thanks for posting it, definitely some great information in there.

For those that don't want to read through the whole thing, the last paragraph basically sums it up...

"So in summary overall the safest for the aquarist will be the installation of AFCI, GFCI and Ground Probe. The safest for the inhabitants will be AFCI and GFCI without ground probe. This is the reason why many aquarist do not use ground probes (but will always use GFCIs) specially traveling ones that stay away for extended periods of time. If you have a remote alarm system installed that may page you or send you an E-Mail in case of a fault (Like the aqua controller from Neptune Systems) you shall have no doubts and have your Probe installed with your GFCI's)"

Credit: Reef Central Online Community - View Single Post - Grounding probe? waste of money?

Back
Top Bottom