Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ground probes and y they are not useful

Ok so on different forum I was trolling along and made this statement on a thread and was ignored hopefully I won't be here. Just to clarify I am a electrician and I'm in school for this so I am up to date on electrical systems and how they work. I would like to state why ground probes will not help take stray voltage or a short back to the source witch could be dangerous you or someone you know could die if you have 120v + in you aquarium the only purpose a ground rod has in the electrical system is to remove voltage surges and lightning strikes from your electrical system you can actually take a ground rod and drive it into the ground put the hot side of a circuit on it and it won't trip now it will if u put it on your current ground rod because it is bonded in the panel if u have stray voltage and it's not 120 it shouldn't hurt the dis because they are at the same potential and nothing is grounded so the voltage is not there to them if u ground it it might read zero but it's only because the current is trying to get back to the source(transformer ) through the ground. so it's best to find the equipment that is causing the problem not grounding it

Old 11-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

That's why there are GFCI sockets I'm sure nobody would leave equipment in their tank if they knew it was malfunctioning or leaking stray voltage.

--Adeeb

adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

That'a what I told the guy on the other forum but they just told him to get a ground rod even after I explained how electricity works it's like I was completely ignored
Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Have you ever put your hand in your aquarium and received a electrical shock? Not 110 VAC but strong enough to feel it? I have. The stray voltage may be leaking from a power head or a heater. Note "leaking". While it's not a direct short it will cause many problems to the life in a aquarium.
It amazes me how little the average electrician knows about low voltage systems.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy33 View Post
Have you ever put your hand in your aquarium and received a electrical shock? Not 110 VAC but strong enough to feel it? I have. The stray voltage may be leaking from a power head or a heater. Note "leaking". While it's not a direct short it will cause many problems to the life in a aquarium.
It amazes me how little the average electrician knows about low voltage systems.
I've heard a simple ground spike can fix that! You see electricity will travel down the path with the least resistance, so a ground rod will easily fix that
Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
So a ground rod/probe will fix that?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy33

And it amazes me at how little people know about grounding u are creating a path for current to go to there for if lets say that power head has a small voltage leak of 60volts and it finally shorts a ground rod won't cause The breaker to short but instead create 120v with enough amps to kill you your fish are going to be ok because there in the water with equal potential but yea I have had a voltage leak of 120 volts instead of adding a ground rod I found the problem and fixed it and no fish where harmed they where swimming in it just fine with nothing bad at all because a tank won't conduct that much electricity
Old 11-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

So find the problem and fix it in short
Old 11-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Moved to General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #10

Aquarium Titanium Ground Probe

Tags
probes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com