Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

grounding probe?

do I need a grounding probe? It seems that if you have all modern equipment you wouldn't but....

I have a 120 gal reef with all the usual equipment.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I ran one on my reef tank. When you got your hands in the water a lot and ever experienced a shock like I have never hurts to be on the safe side. There cheap and easy to install.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

as an electrician i would highly advise against on, gettign a probe you're more then likely going to kill y our system with electricution.

stray voltage sitting in the water is making the fish the same potenctal when you add the probe you are finishing a circuit which will pull amperage through. the amperage going through the system is watch will do all the damage so frankly as far as i'm concerned a grounding probe is only good for the manufacture who is trying to make money off you.

if you're worried about shocks and voltage leaks then invest in a GFI outlet to plug you electrical into, what will sense a difference in current which will trip the GFI and let you know there is a problem somewhere.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Grounding probe? waste of money? - Reef Central Online Community

Read post #18

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What you say sounds logical. The shock I felt without it is more like a tiny static electricity not like a strong bolt that'll make you jump or anyting. I ran a prob in my tank. Never electricuted any of my fish or coral. Maybe a waste of money but were talking a few bucks not any great amount of money.
Blue Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post

the post is correct when sayign the best way is an arc fault circuit breaker as they sense any leak of voltage and trip right away they will also trip when switchign higher amperage switches as the switch will actually arc when opening or closing. if you have an arc fault a gfi is also redundant as the arc fault will sense a short or fault and trip making the gfi pointless as it senses a difference in line current and return current in the neutral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com