Growing Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a hammer, frogspawn, Duncan, zoas, Kenya tree, cyphastrea, mushrooms, Xenia, monti cap, and acans

I don't have any issues with the light. I have never used it. Lumens is not a good gauge to measure the PAR/PUR of an LED fixture. Some seem dimmer than florescent lighting to the naked eye, but penetrate much better.
I would check it with a PAR meter for starters, even though this can be misleading, but someone's first hand experience with the fixture would probably be the best thing to go by.

How long have you had the corals listed? What color or growth changes have you witnessed during this time? These questions will answer if the light will work or not.

That was back when I had a 10, I have upgraded now but I had most of the corals in there for 8-10 months before upgrading. My hammer grew very well from 2 heads to about 7 in that span. My Duncan went from 2 to 15 in the same span. My zoas grew very well too. Color was ok at best, but they can definitely grow coral. Green corals and red had the best color. I wouldn't keep sps under it. I had a birdsnest and monti cap but they didn't grow. But lps and softies will do fine.

So my lighting should arrive tomorrow. I was wondering what I need to get to start having coral in my tank? What test kit? What supplements (if any)? etc

Got my new lighting today :)

Attachments

• image-2611354648.jpg
    image-2611354648.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 84
  • image-2213185115.jpg
    image-2213185115.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image-1137670841.jpg
    image-1137670841.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image-2456029323.jpg
    image-2456029323.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 59
You will need a calcium test kit, an alkalinity test kit, and a magnesium test kit, along with the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test kits you should already have.
I suggest buying Salifert or Elos test kits. They are more expensive, but more accurate as well.

I bought a light from these guys and my metal halide broke after a few weeks. Shipped it to be fixed but took a while to get through and when I did they were Asian and couldn't understand them . I also had to pay for the $15 shipping for a 3 week old broken item they sent me.

I actually need a new light after a year bc some how the night lights are rusty. No idea how since I have a splash guard blocking it. Moisture I guess. I'll never buy anything from aqua trader again just for the customer experience alone.

Ok, test kit ordered. What else should I know before getting coral? How do I feed and dose the aquarium with what they need?

Ok, test kit ordered. What else should I know before getting coral? How do I feed and dose the aquarium with what they need?

Shouldn't need to feed or dose anything for most corals. Just place them where you like and see if they open up.

Why do I hear about dosing iodine and such then?

Dosing iodine is never needed. Just a ploy to get you to buy things you don't need need. You really only need to dose calcium, alkalinity and magnesium if you have a lot of sps colonies using it really fast.

There's plenty of everything you need in any reef grade salt mix. I've never added iodine to any tank under my care and they all seemed to do just fine.

I don't have reef salt mix right now. Is there something I can use to supplement while I use up the salt I have and I'll just buy reef salt after I use it all. Suggestions?

Just use up the salt you have and then switch over to reef salt. The basic fish only salts are generally lower in calcium, but that's not the end of the world.

Back
Top Bottom