Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
guppy filter

We are fairly new to keeping fancy guppies and have a problem with our hob filter sucking them against the intake valve and killing them in our 10-gallon tank. We'll be keeping this tank for a nursery and put the adults in the 55-gallon tank. One site says to use an underground filter with power heads so that the fry and small guppies won't get sucked up. Another says not to, that it won't keep the water in good condition. I use airstones and bubble decorations, so which type of filters do you think I should buy for our 10-gallon and 55-gallon?

lynmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
I seriously doubt your filter is killing them. Most likely, they're either dead, or almost dead by the time the filter grabs them.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
+1 I've got guppies in a 20L with an AC50 and a 20H with an AC30 and a Penguin 660 powerhead. Even the fry don't get sucked up to the filter.
“A man's errors are his portals of discovery.”
Guide to The Fishless Cycle Cycling With Fish
My DIY LED Light Fixture
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
You could try putting a sponge pre filter over the tank ends of the filter
That might decrease the water flow into the filter somewhat

A seed hidden in the heart of an apple is an orchard invisible.
Welsh Proverb
kc2ped is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com