hallide/ballast help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashchad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
alright, i just bought a hallide pendant, and bulb, and came to the realization that i needed a ballast, but the pendants that i have have a weird connector, and thats the problem that i have, i need some one to lead me in the right direction for the right ballast....because i know there are HQI,PFO, ARO, VHO, etc. etc.
i have attached some pictures that will hopefully help you help me
it has three prongs, and around the prongs is a plastic housing type of thing

Attachments

• DSC01392.jpg
    DSC01392.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 77
  • GEDC0001.jpg
    GEDC0001.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 67
  • GEDC0005.jpg
    GEDC0005.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 112
  • GEDC0012.jpg
    GEDC0012.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 73
You have to get a ballast that matches the wattage of the bulb. So we need to know how many watts the bulb is first.

it doesn't say any where on the pendant and the guy that i bought it from didn't know either

Ballast manufacturers do not install any connectors to their products.The end that you show was installed by the firm that assembled the light.Unless you can find out who that firm is and get the matching ballast your only choice is to get a generic ballast.The 3 prongs on the connector are ground and the two wires that go to the socket [anode and cathode].I would recommend you get a electronic 150w MH ballast and either wire it directly to the reflector or replace the connector with a matching male female pair rated for 600v.Any 150w 120v MH will light up your fixture.

I was going to say the same thing Larry. My PFO ballast came with connections and plugs on the sockets as well. Quick Disconnect. IceCap even makes them for their ballasts.

As long as your bulb and ballast combination match up you will be fine. You can always rewire the pendant to what ever ballast you get.

Guess I offended the advice gurus. As a industrial electrician for 30 years I thought I knew what I was talking about but it seems that I was wrong. When I mentioned ballast manufacturers I was not referring to companies that re manufacture components for specific markets such as fish keeping hobby. There are only a handful of Manufactures of ballasts such as Phillips or GE the rest are cottage industries that use components such as ballasts sockets caps etc to produce the end product. (Moderator Edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom