hamilton technology fixture troubleshooting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hello, i recently bought a used hamilton 3' metal halide fixture, single mogul type socket, 2 30watt flourescents one on each side, the bulb fires up, the tank goes from being dark to a dawn or dusk effect but then after about 30-40 secs it just dies out, the fans stay on so im sure its getting electricity, the flourescents have an independant ballast so those have no problems, is there anything i can check before i buy a $70 bulb only to find that is some other problem? any similar situations and what you do to fix or troubleshoot?

So the fluorescents stay on, but the mh goes off? I believe the Hamilton fixtures use a magnetic mh ballast. If that's the case, it sounds like the capacitor is going on it. It can be replaced.

ok I just visited hamiltons web site.. I guess the loose components are readily available on their website. I have basic electricity and soldering skills, how would I go about checking that? just check for continuance?

I am not an electrician, but I would think you may want to test the capacitor to make sure is getting charged.....But then again, I could be totally off track.

I'm not sure how you can check the cap. It probably needs to be on a full load before it kicks off. There is no soldering required to replace the cap. If it's like any other standard magnetic mh ballast, it's just wire nutted in.

maybe tomorrow im going to open this sucker up and take a loo around, im still doing research so any ideas are appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom