Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hang on back (HOB) Filters

Hi guys,

I am thinking of starting a new 30 litre planted shrimp tank and was looking at various Hob filters. I could not find any filter cartridges though? could someone reccomend a good filter with variable flow and redily available filter media.

Thanks, nubjub

Old 01-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fluval C series or Aquaclear filters have easy to replace media, open media containers so you can use something else and they rarely break down. I also like these two because they are very quiet and inexpensive.

The rating will depend on how stocked the tank will be.

Remember to put a sponge over the intake so new tiny shrimp don't get sucked up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks so much
Old 01-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aquaclear with one sponge in the bottom and the rest biomax. Never replace any of it. Rinse the bottom sponge once in awhile. Every couple months or so. It won't get that dirty because you will have a sponge over the intake that will catch most of the debris and get rinsed often.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Get a Fluval C series. They are the next gen of aqua clears. I just returned an AQ20 for a Fluval C2 and the quality and layout is awesome.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidburn View Post
Get a Fluval C series. They are the next gen of aqua clears. I just returned an AQ20 for a Fluval C2 and the quality and layout is awesome.
I still prefer the aquaclear's classic design. You can do anything you want with it. I agree with the 1 foam block and the rest biomax/biohome/ehfisubstrat/matrix, etc.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

YES ... Fluval C makes AquaClear obsolete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidburn View Post
You are right. I have a C3 and an AC50 running side by side and Fluval C is far superior. I even ordered a second Fluval C3 because the AquaClear 50 media basket is a real pain and I even have to use duct tape to stop the bypass issue. The Fluval C series renders the AquaClear design obsolete.

The polishing pad and the trickle chamber are not gimmicks and there is ZERO bypass through the mechanical phase of filtration. I use all cut to fit mechanical media + purigen + the factory Cnodes for biological filtration and my water is Uber clear.

The AquaClear has no polishing pad. Moreover, because the water moves from bottom to top instead of back to front the water velocity in the Aquaclear is too high for traditional polishing pad so you are forced to use floss to polish the water........ and floss just is not as good as the 100 micron polishing pads.

I know Mr. Sprinkles thinks the fish don't need crystal clear water ...... but I LOVE crystal clear water and the Fluval C makes makes getting it a snap.

See:

AquaClear Bypass Issues
Old 01-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post
You are right. I have a C3 and an AC50 running side by side and Fluval C is far superior. I even ordered a second Fluval C3 because the AquaClear 50 media basket is a real pain and I even have to use duct tape to stop the bypass issue. The Fluval C series renders the AquaClear design obsolete.

The polishing pad and the trickle chamber are not gimmicks and there is ZERO bypass through the mechanical phase of filtration. I use all cut to fit mechanical media + purigen + the factory Cnodes for biological filtration and my water is Uber clear.

The AquaClear has no polishing pad. Moreover, because the water moves from bottom to top instead of back to front the water velocity in the Aquaclear is too high for traditional polishing pad so you are forced to use floss to polish the water........ and floss just is not as good as the 100 micron polishing pads.

I know Mr. Sprinkles thinks the fish don't need crystal clear water ...... but I LOVE crystal clear water and the Fluval C makes makes getting it a snap.

See:

AquaClear Bypass Issues
I also have a Fluval C3 - just the bio and the mech. pad in it. crystal clear water (well, it does have a 500gph canister with it too.. sunsun 304A) it's a 27g marineland cube. This is what I've got in it: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998golfer View Post
I also have a Fluval C3 - just the bio and the mech. pad in it. crystal clear water (well, it does have a 500gph canister with it too.. sunsun 304A) it's a 27g marineland cube. This is what I've got in it: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Sounds like a nice set up and good stock of fish.

On Aqadvisor.com, you might try hitting the "use juvenile sizes" button and plug in the actual size of the fish. You may find you're not as close to capacity as it indicates.

Here's mine with 44 fish in a 38 gallon tank:

AqAdvisor - Paul38Tank

Tags
filter, filters, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com