Hang on fuge..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone use one of the large hang on fuge solutions? Considering buying one and wanted to know if they work. I am little put off by the weight it would put on the back of the tank. Advice?

I just got one off of eBay. It was an 18" fuge and it was acrylic. Was 25 bucks..came in pieces and it took about an hour to put together. They even had great instructions and acrylic glue in the kit. It works awesome!!

It was sold by USA Aquariums ..just search for regugium and then look at their eBay store..they have all different sizes.

So far, no leaks, and it works like a charm..just put some mud, chaeto and rubble in it, and already, there are lots of pods for my Mandarin (thats why I got it)

http://www.cprusa.com/products/aquafuge.html

I used the 24" HOB on a 72g. It seemed like the weight was straight down on the back glass and didn't pull it. Weight distribution seemd OK to me. Worked nice until I started realizing my tank was too close to the wall to really enjoy it like I wanted to. Although fuges are all about excess nutrient consumption and phospate reduction and stuff, I would've preferred to see mine more. Didn't trim my chaeto like I should have. Anyway, the 24' had a light also, which I had to run on the same cycle as my main lights because of the spillover into the main. Haven't figured that out yet. That was way too much light in the tank at night for me.

Have you checked out the Reefugium for underneath the cabinet/stand? Not sure whether it goes on top of the existing sump or whether it comes with one, but it looks interesting.

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/html/reefugium.html

I had a homemade one that worked like a charm, but eventually sprang a leak, I really miss it, so I just ordered on from Drs. Foster and Smith made by CPR. Shipped yeaterday ... can't wait to get it.

I have the smallest CPR model hanging on the side of the tank...I think its one of the best items you can add besides a good skimmer...

Like Austinsdad pointed out, are you all not concerned with the excess light at night or do you run it during the same cycle as your mains? I think that limtation alone may be enough jutification in my mind to look into replacing my sump with a sump/fuge.

Back
Top Bottom