Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hang-On-Glass UAS Upflow Algae Scrubber to remove nitrates

I have to use $1 a gallon bottled spring water due to exceptionally poor quality of tap so keeping nitrates down is difficult albeit manageable.

I had never even heard of an algae scrubber to control this problem until today. Essentially by forcing algae to grow densely in close quarters, nitrates and phosphates are kept to a minimum. It utilizes a bright light and an air pump. For the most part, this is copied and pasted from the general discussion of Nitrate removal

In my 38 gallon ....... which is 100% stocked with 44 fish per aqadvisor.com, I am running 3 x 100 ml bags of Purigen plus lots of Matrix in addition to the Fluval C3 Cnodes and the AquaClear bio-max. This does help keep nitrates in control but due to such heavy stocking, I have to make about 20% weekly water changes, substrate vacuums, & pre-filter rinsings to keep it 20 ppm nitrate or less.

The thing I hate about it is ...... to catch the waste before the BB convert it to nitrate ... the substrate vacuums have to be pretty thorough which means "re-aqua-scape" the darn tank constantly.

I had never heard of an algae scrubber but I watched the youtube video ...... and the $27 version doesn't cut it for aesthetics.

Looks like this would work but it's pricey:

HOG.5 Hang-On-Glass UAS Upflow Algae Scrubber - 1/2 Cube feeding per day - MAGNET VERSION

Here it is on Amazon for $129:

HOG.5 Hang-On-Glass UAS Upflow Algae Scrubber - 1/2 Cube feeding per day - MAGNET VERSION

Here is a youtube demo:

I really do like the idea. It seems to me I could alternate its use on both my tanks. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Anyone else that has used a algae scrubber that is not an eyesore for a freshwater tank please chime in.

Something tells me I'm going to end up getting one if they work well in freshwater tanks. Mostly I see them being used in saltwater tanks.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Paul1792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
That guy has crazy diy skills
rafity is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, ate, flow, glass, move, nitrate, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com