Hang on skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul baxter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI
I am thinking about upgrading my skimmer.I was looking at the deltec 600 hang on skimmer.Can anybody give me any feed back about the deltec 600,or could any body recommend a good slim line hang on skimmer for a 90 gal tank.Any help on this matter would me much appreciated..Paul baxter...

You'll be hard pressed to find a HOB skimmer good enough for a 90. Without a doubt, I would go with an Aqua C Remora Pro w/mag 3 pump. Not sure exactly how "slim" it would be on your tank... but if you want performance for your 90... that would be my bet. :D

Remember that we have a general hardware/equipment discussion forum... you'll usually get more hits there on that post. :wink:

The RedSea Prizm line of skimmers does just fine. I have the Prizm pro deluxe on my 150 gal ( the skimmer is rated for 300 gal ) and its a HOB design. They are only about 2.5 inches thick, and seem to do as good of a job as any other skimmer.

The Red Sea Prism's are crap. The pro will not be sufficient for 300gals,nor 150gals...I don't even feel it would do enough skimming on a 90g. This is assuming you want regular stocking levels, and not just 1 fish with 2 anemone's.

You'd be far better off going with a sump on your setup, with an in-sump skimmer.
Otherwise look at Aqua C REmora, or a dual bak-pak...or simply two single bak-paks (whichever's cheapest)

Why is it that the prisms are crap ? Mine has been skimming along just fine and extracting some pretty nasty junk from the water. I dont really plan on going very wild with my stocking lvls. Maybe a tang, clownfish or two. I just dont understand how my skimmer is junk. If i were to switch to a sump i would have to run my lines over the top and back of my tank. Also, i know close to nothing about sumps.

I don't have much experience with it... but I have seen it in person. Very cheaply made, and from what I gather, it's difficult to keep "primed" to skim a nice consistent level of dark skimmate. I tried a SeaClone... same thing... had to adjust it a million times. In the end... it doesn't really matter (to a certain extent) as long as you're gathering a steady amount of DARK skimmate from your tank.

Most times they rate the skimmer's capacity WAY higher than it can actually do. Many cheaper ones out there will say that they're rated for 300++ gal! 8O (when it's only really good for 55 gal or so). Many people have their own opinion... if yours works for you... then sweet! :D

Sir,

I was telling Paul to go with a sump, not you. This is his thread. I'm merely trying to discourage him from wasting his money on a Prizm.

The main reason you think Prizm's are ok is because you have 1 fish in your tank, so of course the Prizm can keep up with that bioload. Once you get close to average stocking level (not over-stocked, just good stocking) you'll likely see your water quality decline.

Also, the 'energizer' pump on Prizm's is prone to failure, and you can ONLY replace it with the same pump (unlike CPR's and Remora's which can be upgraded to Maxi-jets or Mag pumps)

Ive had a seaclone150, and a berlin air lift 60. At times i would be amazed at how much they would remove and for days on end i would try to adjust them to even make a watery skimmate. No dought that at times these skimmers can work but I just upgraded to the Remora C pro, Its awsome and im trying to tell everyone. I got mine off ebay 220 shipped with the mag 3 I would recommend them. This skimmer will produce skimate 24hrs a day no questions asked, and thats what most of us need.

Back
Top Bottom