hang on tank skimmer advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwalsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking into a hang on skimmer for my 29 gallon reef. I am in need of suggestions on good ones from people with more expierence. This is my first skimmer so I don't know where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

So why are you looking at a skimmer? Any issues with your tank that water changes arent addressing? I don't have a skimmer on my 29g and I usually say that it's not needed on such a small tank. UNLESS you have a reason for wanting one. :)

I have the reef octopus hb 1000 on my 40 breeder and love it

I've been doing water changes one a week for the last 3 weeks and can't get my trates to drop below 40ppm they used to be 0ppm for the first 5 months but now for the last month or so it has been getting high. Idk if my pistol shrimp stiring up my dsb has something to do with that maybe idk and my water is always hazzy it just doesn't look good but it can't be that bad because the pods are nice and healthy and reproducing so idk mostly to clear up the water I guess and the trates are bothering me

Yeah that's kind of what I was leaning towards since I have read nothing but good things about them. But do I go with the bh-100 or bh-1000? The 1000 seems a little overkill

I'm eye-balling the BH-1000 too. I like that the pump is outside and the intake includes surface skimming. Should be more than enough for my 36G.
I too got advice at an LFS that it may make sense to just do more water changes - spend the money on salt & water instead of a skimmer. But every water change feels like a huge waste to me. Also hoping it'll help with algae - tho I know I just have a young tank and shouldn't be freaking out about the brown all over everything. Still bugs me.

- D

I hear ya man. I got rid of my algea by switching to ro water. It was night and day compaired to tap. My algea stopped when I switched. I just can't get rid of these trates since I got an anemone and had to start feeding it mysis. I'm sure I'm over feeding it but I can't help that little pieces fall off the chunk of food as its eating it. So ill obviously still do my water changes but I'm getting that bh-1000 next week. I too liked that the pump was mounted outside the tank. That honestly was my biggest gripe about all of the hob skimmers is that 99% of them had the pump in the tank. So the bh_1000 it is

I have a reef octopus bh 100 on my 55 gallon sump (hanging on the back). It works really well, so I would suggest that.

Thanks Don I actually started a thread asking about that not long ago. I missed the last few so I'm in on this one for sure! Also thanks for all the input I think I'm going to go with the bh-1000 just because I like the external pump better.

What is the measurements on the 1000, I have this hexagon tank, that when i open the canopy it will hit anything in the back of the DT , I cut a hole in the back of the canopy for the skimmer that I have now ( Seaclone 150)
been hearing bad and experiencing bad things with this one. I like what everyone is saying about the BH 1000.

It is 8"x3.25"x17" I have heard and read nothing but good things about it. Here is the link to it at brs.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...octopus-hang-on-the-back-1000-oct-bh1000.html

Also if you get in on the group buy that's coming up in 2 weeks you get a deal on it. Carey said there are good discounts on Skimmers. Contact her for more info. But I think there is a link in this thread to the info for it. Don posted it a few posts ago. I'm waiting until then to get mine.

I don't acually own one yet because I'm waiting until the group buy to get a good deal on one. Sorry I couldn't help on that one

Back
Top Bottom