Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hang on vs Sump for 90g

So I'm planning ahead (REALLY ahead lol) for a 90 gallon...
But I'm confused..
Seems like the cheapest sumps I've seen are around 100$, and only do 100-200 gph.

BUT

The hang on Aqueon I got, is the 40-60gallon tank model, which does 325gph for 50$....

And even at a quick look, a ~150$ sump which does 350 gph?!
Also just found a 450$(!) sump that only does 277gph?!?!?!

Why shouldn't I just get another Aqueon, for a combined total of 650gph~
Let alone it'll make a nice current in the tank too, for 100$...

Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any advice/comments

Old 03-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You can build your own sump for alot less than you can buy one. Is this for fw or sw? Either way, the benefit of adding a sump is that you're adding water volume to your system which means more stable conditions and as the old saying goes, "dillution is the solution to pollution"... If you were wanting to actually use those hob's, you would need 3 of them to adequately filter your tank, and i'd be skeptical then. Got anything against canister filters?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just seems like more of an expsense than what is necessary /shrug
Let alone I don't want to drill/modify the tank walls, but I suppose I have yet to look in-depth at a lot of sumps, or the diy's..
But I guess I didn't think of extra volume.

Though that makes me wonder, in the case of filtering, which is better in the end, more volume added or more filtration per hour?
Old 03-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

SW btw~
Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungpaoshizi View Post
Though that makes me wonder, in the case of filtering, which is better in the end, more volume added or more filtration per hour?
There's no reason you can't have both. A properly setup DIY sump will filter better than any off-the-shelf for the same money, in addition to adding more water volume to your system. You can pick any return pump you'd like, as long as it's rated for less flow than your overflow.

I would think a 20L would be a more than adequate sump for a 90g. You can find them dirt cheap used too. Another benefit of sumps is you can hide your equipment instead of putting it in the display tank.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com