Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Hanna Phosphate Meter review

Let me start off by stating that my eye doctor tells me I am Red-Green Color Blind. I can see colors but I have trouble distinguishing between close color patches. That makes most test kits problematic for me. It's also the reason I use Salifert tests for Ca, Mg, and Alk and a meter for pH. I use a refractometer for SG so no problem there and a Pinpoint pH meter so I get a digital read there. The Salifert kits are titration tests that have a have very sharp change in color when the test is done. Easy! The Nitrate kit Salifert makes has enough of a difference for me to see, though I am considering a meter for that too. The problem is that a nitrate meter is hundreds of dollars.

But do I have PHOSPHATES?
For phosphates you really need a colorimeter, and they cost $250+. OK, I was told the API test kit was good so I bought one. So, tell me what my Phosphate reading is because I can't tell.

Enter the new Hanna handheld Phosphate Colorimeter. It retails for $49.95 (I paid $39.95) and it comes with 6 packets of reagent for 6 tests.

It's packaged in a nice plastic case that holds the meter, two vials with caps, the instructions and the battery. The unit requires 1 AA battery that is included.
To take a test you fill a vial with 10 ml of tank water. Then turn the meter on by pressing the large button on the front of the meter.

You now press the large button on the front of the meter and the meter will ZERO reference your sample. At this point the meter will instruct you to add the reagent to the water sample. You need to mix the sample for 20 seconds then replace the cuvet with the sample in the meter.

Pressing and holding the button will begin the 3 minute countdown:

At the end of 3 mintues the meter will give you a reading:

In my case it's 0.22 NOT the Zero I thought I had. Time for some GFO, and some additional reagent packets ($25 for 100).
BTW, before you ask, YES I tested my PWC water and it read 0.00.
In case you are wondering about the reagent used, it is the same used in the Hanna $300+ colorimeter.
How accurate is it? Good question. I'm hoping I can get the lab at work (pharmaceutical) to test a water sample for me. If they do I'll post the result.

All in all I LOVE THIS METER!. Simple to use, and you get a fast digital readout.

Please no comments from the young whipper snappers that have no problem with the inexpensive test kits. You are welcome to stop by on Sunday mornings and do my weekly water tests for me
:p

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
That looks real nice. How many tests do you get in the original package before you have to buy more reagents?

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for posting this. I will definitely be on the lookout for one!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

It comes with 6 packets of reagent for six tests. TBAquatics has them at the intro price of $39.95. That's where I got mine from. Brian was great to deal with too (small shop - no retail location).
Old 04-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post

Please no comments from the young whipper snappers that have no problem with the inexpensive test kits. You are welcome to stop by on Sunday mornings and do my weekly water tests for me
:p
I'm not young, so can I make comments? Had you ever tried the Salifert Phosphate test? First color shift from clear to light blue is at 0.03 - and no... I didn't put the decimal point in the wrong place! It's a lot like their nitrate test kit.

But seriously... thanks for the write up. You've got me thinking about it now. Especially at that price...
Old 04-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I have not tried the Salifert Phosphate. I think I looked at the instructions and saw that you need a color chip chart like you do for the Nitrate test.

At $40 for the meter and $25 for another 100 tests it's the equivalent of buying a few Salifert kits. Now that I own the meter it's cost equivalent and I get a digital readout.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ooooooooo.... coming soon: nitrates!

http://www.hannachecker.com/

Tags
phosphate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com