Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hardware and saltwater questions

I think this is the right place.

I was thinking about it and got curious.

Salt is hard on everything, saltwater after time will reek havoc on equipment. So... What do you do to maintain the equipment in your saltwater tanks? PH's, magna float, thermometer etc... Cords?

Won't the saltwater eventually eat away at power cords, PH's etc?

I've seen videos and the PH's look horrible and the backs of there cubes are purple and blue and all discolored as well as any hardware inside the tank. Is this something that is just part of the hobby? Or do you have tips and it tricks? Maybe you take the heads out and clean them up? Or are we leaving them in.

Just curious...

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
The submerged part of a powerhead are usually plastic and stainless steel or ceramic. Saltwater doesn't really affect them. The blue or purple colors you see is coralline algae. It doesn't hurt anything but it can build up and get pretty thick. Soaking them in vinegar dissolves the coralline. I never saw any problems with the power cords being submerged. I don't use a thermometer (I use a digital temp contoller) but most thermometers are glass and the saltwater doesn't do anything to it. I don't leave my mag float in the tank but it's possible that if you do, over time the magnets may start to rust.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt
The submerged part of a powerhead are usually plastic and stainless steel or ceramic. Saltwater doesn't really affect them. The blue or purple colors you see is coralline algae. It doesn't hurt anything but it can build up and get pretty thick. Soaking them in vinegar dissolves the coralline. I never saw any problems with the power cords being submerged. I don't use a thermometer (I use a digital temp contoller) but most thermometers are glass and the saltwater doesn't do anything to it. I don't leave my mag float in the tank but it's possible that if you do, over time the magnets may start to rust.
Thanks for the response Capt! Like I said was thinking aloud and you've answered my questions. Thanks again and have a GREAT weekend!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 02-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
I've seen videos and the PH's look horrible and the backs of there cubes are purple and blue and all discolored as well as any hardware inside the tank. Is this something that is just part of the hobby?
Hey man.

I just wanted to step in at this part and say, aquarists actually LIKE this look. IDK?!

I have asked this question before, saying

how do you clean these walls and PH's? I see lots of reefs that look very messy with all the algea, and all the coroline covered equipment.

Well, i guess people want the coraline to cover allthe equipment because it looks more natural, and the back wall because i guess it is a natural "backround".

I dont know, just my input
Old 02-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Hey man.

I just wanted to step in at this part and say, aquarists actually LIKE this look. IDK?!

I have asked this question before, saying

how do you clean these walls and PH's? I see lots of reefs that look very messy with all the algea, and all the coroline covered equipment.

Well, i guess people want the coraline to cover allthe equipment because it looks more natural, and the back wall because i guess it is a natural "backround".

I dont know, just my input
Thanks G, makes sense though... You know though. I see myself cleaning EVERYTHING at each water change.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Thanks G, makes sense though... You know though. I see myself cleaning EVERYTHING at each water change.
Lol man, just let it the tank do its thing. Clean the front glass, but other than that...
Old 02-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

To keep up on my equipment I take out my heater and circulation pumps and soak them over night in a bucket with hydor's magi-clean. After a night of that you can wipe coralline off with your fingers. Vinegar water also does the same but may require some scrubbing. Salt creep happens but you can wipe it off weekly.

Tags
hardware, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com