Hardware and saltwater questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think this is the right place.

I was thinking about it and got curious.

Salt is hard on everything, saltwater after time will reek havoc on equipment. So... What do you do to maintain the equipment in your saltwater tanks? PH's, magna float, thermometer etc... Cords?

Won't the saltwater eventually eat away at power cords, PH's etc?

I've seen videos and the PH's look horrible and the backs of there cubes are purple and blue and all discolored as well as any hardware inside the tank. Is this something that is just part of the hobby? Or do you have tips and it tricks? Maybe you take the heads out and clean them up? Or are we leaving them in.

Just curious...

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The submerged part of a powerhead are usually plastic and stainless steel or ceramic. Saltwater doesn't really affect them. The blue or purple colors you see is coralline algae. It doesn't hurt anything but it can build up and get pretty thick. Soaking them in vinegar dissolves the coralline. I never saw any problems with the power cords being submerged. I don't use a thermometer (I use a digital temp contoller) but most thermometers are glass and the saltwater doesn't do anything to it. I don't leave my mag float in the tank but it's possible that if you do, over time the magnets may start to rust.

ccCapt said:
The submerged part of a powerhead are usually plastic and stainless steel or ceramic. Saltwater doesn't really affect them. The blue or purple colors you see is coralline algae. It doesn't hurt anything but it can build up and get pretty thick. Soaking them in vinegar dissolves the coralline. I never saw any problems with the power cords being submerged. I don't use a thermometer (I use a digital temp contoller) but most thermometers are glass and the saltwater doesn't do anything to it. I don't leave my mag float in the tank but it's possible that if you do, over time the magnets may start to rust.

Thanks for the response Capt! Like I said was thinking aloud and you've answered my questions. Thanks again and have a GREAT weekend!

Convict2161 said:
I've seen videos and the PH's look horrible and the backs of there cubes are purple and blue and all discolored as well as any hardware inside the tank. Is this something that is just part of the hobby?

Hey man.

I just wanted to step in at this part and say, aquarists actually LIKE this look. IDK?!

I have asked this question before, saying

how do you clean these walls and PH's? I see lots of reefs that look very messy with all the algea, and all the coroline covered equipment.

Well, i guess people want the coraline to cover allthe equipment because it looks more natural, and the back wall because i guess it is a natural "backround".

I dont know, just my input:D

Gboy66 said:
Hey man.

I just wanted to step in at this part and say, aquarists actually LIKE this look. IDK?!

I have asked this question before, saying

how do you clean these walls and PH's? I see lots of reefs that look very messy with all the algea, and all the coroline covered equipment.

Well, i guess people want the coraline to cover allthe equipment because it looks more natural, and the back wall because i guess it is a natural "backround".

I dont know, just my input:D

Thanks G, makes sense though... You know though. I see myself cleaning EVERYTHING at each water change.

Convict2161 said:
Thanks G, makes sense though... You know though. I see myself cleaning EVERYTHING at each water change.

Lol man, just let it the tank do its thing. Clean the front glass, but other than that...;)

To keep up on my equipment I take out my heater and circulation pumps and soak them over night in a bucket with hydor's magi-clean. After a night of that you can wipe coralline off with your fingers. Vinegar water also does the same but may require some scrubbing. Salt creep happens but you can wipe it off weekly.

Back
Top Bottom