Has anybody used oddysea lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking about getting that fixture for my tank.. My main concern as far as lighting goes is I want to keep a clam.. Would a 4 bulb fixture be alright or go with the 6? It would be for a 55g

For as much as clams cost I would go with the 6 cause a 4 is border line

aadair22 said:
I was thinking about getting that fixture for my tank.. My main concern as far as lighting goes is I want to keep a clam.. Would a 4 bulb fixture be alright or go with the 6? It would be for a 55g

If you want a clam I wouldn't recommend an Odyssea light fixture. You'll definitely want quality reflectors. A quality 4 bulb fixture would be perfect. Clams will be at the bottom so light penetration will be critical. An LED fixture would be cheaper and better in the long run given bulb replacement costs.

CorallineAlgae said:
If you want a clam I wouldn't recommend an Odyssea light fixture. You'll definitely want quality reflectors. A quality 4 bulb fixture would be perfect. Clams will be at the bottom so light penetration will be critical. An LED fixture would be cheaper and better in the long run given bulb replacement costs.

+1 I run t5s and ill tell you now if I could do it all over again I'd be running LEDs :)

No meant the sun tek.. Looked at the Odessa reef LEDs a while ago an thought about risking it.. I figured worst case scenario with those would be they weren't great I wasn't out to much money at least.. Any thoughts on those LED fixtures?

Anyways, I've asked around and everyone seems to have the same answer for me.. 6 bulb t5 with quality bulbs (ATI) but you think a 4 bulb would work?

LEDs are the way to go for sure if you can afford them. Have you considered metal halides? I have the new 24 inch 250w metal halide with 4t5hos from odyssea and I'm confident I can keep a clam my tank is 24x24x12 and the light hangs 20 inches above it . As far as heat issues go I don't have any as long as I run the built in fans and I have the ballast where it gets good air flow from the room so it doesn't get hot. I've read a lot people have success with them and others not so much. If my ballast dies I will replace it with an ice cap when I change bulbs I'll use anti. And my reflectors are molded but I don't think its as huge of a light loss as everyone makes it out to be I would like to see some pics of actual par tests instead if my friend or club member told me. To listen to some people on here talk you're a failure if you don't have a euro skimmer and you're not armed with a par meter, api master kit and refractometer at all times. I don't know a lot about reef keeping but I have enough sense to know when someone is trying to look smart or better than someone else. My opinion is get the best you can afford. Their are very few people here that are helpful most are here just to show off. If you really want to know about lighting send Mr. X a pm he is really nice and knows his stuff.

Hondachico said:
Has anybody used oddysea lights or have them currently running on saltwater tank?

This is my 55g ran with oddesea light fixture and ballast only thing i changed was i am using a pheonix 14k bulb

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121024_223113.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121024_223113.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 76
aadair22 said:
No meant the sun tek.. Looked at the Odessa reef LEDs a while ago an thought about risking it.. I figured worst case scenario with those would be they weren't great I wasn't out to much money at least.. Any thoughts on those LED fixtures?

Anyways, I've asked around and everyone seems to have the same answer for me.. 6 bulb t5 with quality bulbs (ATI) but you think a 4 bulb would work?

My brother has the brightest 4' LED fixture Odyssea has and it runs so hot he can't keep it on for more than a couple hours. It's very bright but everything gets much to hot, even the remote ballast. I'd stay away from it.

Back
Top Bottom