Has anybody used oddysea lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondachico

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anybody used oddysea lights or have them currently running on saltwater tank?

I do. I bought a 48 inch 4 bulb t5ho like a month or two ago. I have 2 gbta and a frag of gsp in my tank. The nems are looking better than when iciest got them. The lights overall are pretty good. Only thing that concerns me is the heat given off.

The fixtures are pretty much junk. You get what you pay for, and I've had 2 ballasts bust on me within 2 months of purchase.

I was asking about the lights because I wanted to see if you guys saw any growth in your corals with these lights, are they good for corals or not?

I was asking about the lights because I wanted to see if you guys saw any growth in your corals with these lights, are they good for corals or not?

Not untill i changed out the bulbs :( Im running Tao-tronics LED's now and have much better growth (y)

I have the 216w quad t5 I like it but idk I just don't see a big growth how much are corals supposed to grow per month

The thing with these lights as far as I know (other then quality of materials used) is they do not have high grade individual reflectors so you lose a lot of usable light.

I have two lights from them one on my 35 hex and that one is fine because I don't have any coral in it but my 55g I started to put coral and idk I just don't see growth

They grow corals fine despite not producing as much light as other T5 fixtures. The reduced light output comes from the bulbs being spaced close together and the reflectors are flat causing re-strike. This doesn't mean they won't grow corals, but they do produce less light per bulb. In a shallow tank it's no big loss. In a deep tank it can be a real issue. If you're trying to grow soft and LPS corals in a reasonably shallow tank the Odyssea lights will give out all the light for coral growth most people need.

I have a regular 55 g with the 216watt I have zoas,frogspawn,palys and Xenia u think with that light is fine

Hondachico said:
I have a regular 55 g with the 216watt I have zoas,frogspawn,palys and Xenia u think with that light is fine

Definitely. Though, if you plan on getting any SPS corals later on it would be best to consider a FishNeedIt T5 fixture.

If you want a higher end t5 fixture for sps I love my tek elite 6 bulb.. grows anything :)

Mrc8858 said:
If you want a higher end t5 fixture for sps I love my tek elite 6 bulb.. grows anything :)

I'm trying to look for the tek elite but can't find them

A Tec Elite 6 bulb fixture is massive overkill for a 55. On a deeper tank, front to back, it would be amazing. Are you certain the 6 bulb fixture isn't more than 12" deep by itself? It'd be awesome over a 75 though.

CorallineAlgae said:
A Tec Elite 6 bulb fixture is massive overkill for a 55. On a deeper tank, front to back, it would be amazing. Are you certain the 6 bulb fixture isn't more than 12" deep by itself? It'd be awesome over a 75 though.

I have mine over my 46 bf and is the absolute maximum width I could go before having light bleed over the sides. It would cover the entire top of a 55 but it would give you enough light to grow anything you want. I get growth out of sps at 19" :)

The 48" 6 bulb is 15.8" wide and 2" on each side is just fixture the bulbs should be about 12" so it would overhang your tank but the bulbs wouldn't if you know what I'm saying

Back
Top Bottom