Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Has anyone ever tried this?

This may be an insane idea, but has anyone ever tried to drill a bulkhead into a running tank? The reason I ask is, I do not have a sump but I am seriously considering building one and I am not totally convinced on the hob overflow idea yet. If I was able to seal the overflow chamber to the tank wall first, and siphon out the water,I would not loose any water through the hole once it was drilled. If you all think I am crazy please say so.

P.S. I did talk to a guy who appearently did this and it worked, so he says!

Old 10-15-2005, 12:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would just build your own siphon overflow. It is easier and safer then you think.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

what is involved in building one?
Old 10-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There are how to's on Reefcentral on people that have done this with a dremel. Would be risky depending on the size of the tank but has been done.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I built my overflow with a small specimen box a big specimen box a u tube a 1" bulkhead a 1" to 1" nipple fitting and a length of 1" interior diameter pipe. Take and drill holes or cut slots at the top of the small specimen box all along the edge. then take the big specimen box and drill a hole in the bottom that is roughly the diameter of the long part of the bulkhead. Then attach the bulkhead through that hole with the long side sticking up. the nipple fitting gets screwed into the underside of the bulkhead attach your out flow pipe to this. Then put your U bend pipe with one end in each box. The small box goes in your tank and fills with water. It is best if you wiegh it down with something heavy to prevent floating. the large box goes on the outside. Put some water into the large box till right before it would drain down the long part of the bulkhead. Then insert a small airline tube into the U while both of its ends are underwater and suck start the siphon. That will give you a self restarting siphon overflow. I built mine for 35 dollars.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:33 PM   #6

No offense, but not a good idea.

KG
Old 10-15-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have to agree with KG, why build your own just to save a few bucks?? All it takes is one mistake when your not home and you have a wet floor.....
My firend drilled his 125 when it had water in it..... He drained about half out and drilled 2 holes. He is a very handy guy so I would not do it unless you know what your doing.
Any reason you can't drain it?

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

the principle is sound if you saw a picture you would realize it is exactly the same as any comercial one. Maybe I'm too gung ho about DIY but its alot easier then some people make it out to be.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It seems like the hob overflow is a better plan than ruining a 150 gal tank because the hole saw got away from me. I appreciate all your info.
Jamie
Old 10-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
If it wasnt sustaining life.. then drilling it would not be that bad of an option (doing some reaserch to make sure the glass your drilling into isn't tempered is a must)
but since you have no way of housing your critters without this tank.. Im going to have to go with the dont drill it side of the debate.. I wouldnt and Im quite confendent in my DIY ability.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com