Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Having difficult time finding a dual light strip for my tank

Currently have this tank: Aqueon 36 Gallon Bow Aquarium Hood Combo - Sale - Fish - PetSmart

It came with a single bulb light strip, and I am wanting to upgrade it to a dual bulb light strip. Unfortunately I am having a difficult time finding one that would fit. For example, Petsmart sells this one that is 30" long: Twin-Tube Fluorescent Strip Lights - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart

... But the current strip I have is 29" long. This is not going to fit in the space designed for it on the hood.

Any ideas where I can find one that is going to fit this thing? I am hoping someone somewhere makes a dual bulb light strip that is 29" long and 4.25" wide.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I doubt you'll find a direct replacement. Your best bet, IMO, is getting a stand alone fixture. If you really want something covering the tank, glass tops work well under fixtures. Are you doing a reef or planted tank?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #3

This is a planted tank. The plants have been doing somewhat well for a couple months now, but are starting to welt and I have a feeling it's because I only have a single 20W plant bulb for a 36 gallon tank.

I've never seen glass tops before. Are they more versatile with the light fixtures in that they don't have grooves for the strips?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yeah... here's a picture of my tank with a glass top on it that I had to hold a bag while I floated it. They also have a second part with a hinge... but I just put this on to float... all my tanks are topless

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #5

Thanks! Would you mind pointing me to where you bought your top from? Google shopping for bow front glass tops isn't doing a whole lot for me.

Also I noticed your light fixture is sitting over the open water. I suppose you have a glass covering over the bulbs in the strip itself?

Tags
light, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com