Having problems keeping your tank clear? UV Sterilizer is the answer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BestMEDimples78

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I added a couple fish from my daughters tank to my already pretty cramped 55gal, while I was in search of a new 30 gal for her set up. My 55 gal instantly h

Sorry I totally posted that before I finished! So, as soon as I put her fish into my tank it was too much, and my ALWAYS CRYSTAL CLEAR 55 gal tank was cloudy and it drove me NUTS!!! So, my friends just bought UV sterilizers for their two tanks but had also gotten new filters and their cloudy water issues went right away but I was hesitant to run out and spend $150 on the new filter and another 100$ on the UV sterilizer since my filters are fine, always have been I have always had a clear tank.... so I went on to eBay found a 9w uv sterilizer for $40. Said hey why not I'm not out the $100 the LPS wants for the sterilizer lets see.... OHHHH WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!!! With in 24 hours my 55 gal was back to normal!! But, it's even more clear then usual!! CRYSTAL CLEAR!!! And, another bonus it adds a good little current to the tank also!!!! I notice that the poop that my Pleco likes to drape the plants with at night I always kid around saying our pleco has IBS (irritable bowl syndrome) LOL is taken care of by the UV filter and I am a happy camper! Needless to say when u don't want to pay retail price check out ebay for tank equipment be sure to check the sellers feedback before buying, I generally only buy from US Sellers... In my 12 yrs on eBay I have t had good experience with international sellers in general.... But if u are on the edge debating about purchasing the uv sterilizer for your tank, DO IT! U will not regret it!

Attachments

• image-1105378614.jpg
    image-1105378614.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 85
  • image-48689213.jpg
    image-48689213.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image-714272712.jpg
    image-714272712.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 98
Glad it worked out for and your tank is perfect or better then perfect!! :)

But I wouldn't pull the trigger and make a statement like telling everyone that's thinking about it to go out and second 100 or even 100+ on a UV for there freshwater tank because of cloudy water.

Cloudy water could be cause by many things. Over feeding, overstocked, not big enough water changes, waiting to long between water changes, bacterial bloom and so on and so on.

I've toyed with the idea if a UV but after some research have opted not to spend $189.00 (that's the one I would buy) at least not buy it at this time...

UV's are good for green water or certain algae problems BUT then again nothing can replace a good water change, good cleaning routine and testing your parameters.

I think the list goes on and on. I too have friends that use them and I have friends that doesn't. My water is just as clear as my friends who are running 100+ dollar UV filters.

Just to add... I wouldn't really say a UV is the solution for everyone's tank issues(the ones that are having them)

It's a pretty blanket statement to make, for beginners who read this may be swayed into buying a piece of equipment that may not be needed.

If this comes off harsh my apologies no disrespect intended. Just speaking my mind...

The Con

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom