Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-03-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Yahoo to Punkymom
Having troubles...Fluval 404 has tiny leak

Ok, so stupid me bought a Fluval 404 online used. Don't yell at me, I've already done enough of that to myself. After setting it up and letting it run last night, I woke up to over 3 gallons of water missing from my 75. I topped off the tank last night before going to bed. The water leaked slowly out of the Fluval at one point where the blue handle hook thingies hold the lid on...you know where it has two little points...so I got on the phone with customer service...they're stumped...and I need to know if anyone else has had this problem. I thought about buying just the case new and seeing if that made a difference. I lubricated the seal (took it off completely and rubbed it down), put it back on and put the lid back on. It still leaks that tiny bit. Help???

Punkymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I looked at mine and all i can think of is that maybe you can replace the rubber gasket...?

55 gal - cycling 125 gal - cycling
aquiring 2 20 gals
Nascar#17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It has to be the inner rubber gasket - those blue handles can't be watertight.
We'll be fighting in the streets with our children at our feet, and the morals that they worshipped will be gone.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:06 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Check the gasket carefully for even the slightest nick or tear. Sometimes you have to stretch them a little to even see it. Also look for a flat spot on the sealing edge. What did you lube it with? I always used Crisco on my HOT Magnum...sealed it right up every time. If the seal checks out, check the seating surfaces for any damage...nicks...rough spots. If that doesn't turn up anything, use a metal ruler and try to determine if the case or lid is warped at all. If it is, you'll probably have to replace it. I'm not intimately familiar with the design of the new Fluvals (mine is so old Noah probably used it on the ark), but is it possible to shim the lid clamps so that they pull down tighter?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via Yahoo to Punkymom
Ok...so I don't know why, but it isn't leaking anymore. I messed with it some more the other night (night I posted this) and I put it in a bucket with a towel (just in case) and crossed my fingers. When I woke up the towel was still dry and no leak! YAY!!! I was thinking it was the gasket as well, after finding nothing else wrong with it...glad it quit leaking...now I don't have to buy another filter! Thanks for the suggestions.
Punkymom is offline   Reply With Quote

fluval, leak, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com