Having troubles...Fluval 404 has tiny leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so stupid me bought a Fluval 404 online used. Don't yell at me, I've already done enough of that to myself. After setting it up and letting it run last night, I woke up to over 3 gallons of water missing from my 75. I topped off the tank last night before going to bed. The water leaked slowly out of the Fluval at one point where the blue handle hook thingies hold the lid on...you know where it has two little points...so I got on the phone with customer service...they're stumped...and I need to know if anyone else has had this problem. I thought about buying just the case new and seeing if that made a difference. I lubricated the seal (took it off completely and rubbed it down), put it back on and put the lid back on. It still leaks that tiny bit. Help???

Check the gasket carefully for even the slightest nick or tear. Sometimes you have to stretch them a little to even see it. Also look for a flat spot on the sealing edge. What did you lube it with? I always used Crisco on my HOT Magnum...sealed it right up every time. If the seal checks out, check the seating surfaces for any damage...nicks...rough spots. If that doesn't turn up anything, use a metal ruler and try to determine if the case or lid is warped at all. If it is, you'll probably have to replace it. I'm not intimately familiar with the design of the new Fluvals (mine is so old Noah probably used it on the ark), but is it possible to shim the lid clamps so that they pull down tighter?

Ok...so I don't know why, but it isn't leaking anymore. I messed with it some more the other night (night I posted this) and I put it in a bucket with a towel (just in case) and crossed my fingers. When I woke up the towel was still dry and no leak! YAY!!! I was thinking it was the gasket as well, after finding nothing else wrong with it...glad it quit leaking...now I don't have to buy another filter! Thanks for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom