Haze on a used aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

racedvl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just acquired a 20 long. The glass after cleaning has a haze to it. I even tried a 0000 steel wool and it is not going away. It does seem to look a little better when the glass is wet. And ideas or suggestions? Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

ForumRunner_20120513_204328.jpg

I am struggling with it myself....I've tried Vinegar and a Razor with no luck. interested to see what people use.

That was gonna be my next step if I didn't get anything to try before I filled it. It did look a little better when I had the vinegar in there, and the glass was wet.

When ever I get a used tank I soak it over night. Drain and scrape off anything left on the inside, then set it up. Chances are yours will be fine once filled with water. One thing I've learned is there's no such think as a perfectly clean used tank.

You could always try sulfamic acid, you can buy it at homedepot or lowes usually. It's used to clean grout haze from tile should strip off any hard water stains on tanks. It comes in crystal form so you can mix it as strong as you want. You may want to buy some rubber gloves if you have sensitive hands, I never needed it the acid is a bit stronger than vinegar, but not really strong enough to hurt your hands (used it for days on end with no gloves never had any issues).

Yea. I knew she had some scratches, and I could deal with that. I filled it for a little bit outside. Just to check for leaks. I didn't rembember the haze then. I really noticed the haze when I was deciding what side to paint black for the background.

View attachment 94691

View attachment 94692

View attachment 94694

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120514_124227.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120514_124227.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 73
  • ForumRunner_20120514_124239.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120514_124239.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20120514_124249.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120514_124249.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 75
I don't understand what that haze is either. It bugs me when I do a 50% water change and the glass drys I can see it get hazy but after I fill my tank back up you can't even tell.

Vinegar and razor blades is what I always use. I never get them perfectly clean but that's a good reason to keep your tanks topped off! You can't tell when it is filled. ;)

When ever I get a used tank I soak it over night. Drain and scrape off anything left on the inside, then set it up. Chances are yours will be fine once filled with water. One thing I've learned is there's no such think as a perfectly clean used tank.

LOL so true.....

Well its up and running, and I don't see the haze anymore. Thanks.

ForumRunner_20120613_191124.jpg

Looks great! I can't tell from the pictures. I'm sure you still know though ;)

Good work!

Back
Top Bottom