Head height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spechty37

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello if I have a pump that pumps 3170 gph and the max head height is 15' how do I figure out what the gph would be at 10' thank you

It should say on the pump instructions

But I would take 30% off min

I don't know what brand pump you have but I would think at 10' it would be somewhere in the 3,500 to 4,000 range

I don't know what brand pump you have but I would think at 10' it would be somewhere in the 3,500 to 4,000 range

So you are saying a 3170 pump will push 4000 at 10 ft I think you are confused

So you are saying a 3170 pump will push 4000 at 10 ft I think you are confused
Why would I be confused if you lower the head height it would have to pump more water at 10' then it would at 15' plus I said it could be less like 3500 your already pushing 3100 at 15' the higher the head the less it pushes the lower the head the more it pushes as an example my pump at 3' gives me 1225 at 6' it gives me 1080.

Well yes if it doesn't go straight up that would also effect the output

If it goes up at all the output will drop a lot more than going down

Also pumps are rated with no pipe and normally have different pipe size connectors so unless you use the largest size pipe you will lose flow right out of the box

I bought a mag 24 it has 2400 gph it says on the box that a 10' of head It would still push 1100 gph so I think that's what I'm looking for I no this head stuff is confusing lol

I bought a mag 24 it has 2400 gph it says on the box that a 10' of head It would still push 1100 gph so I think that's what I'm looking for I no this head stuff is confusing lol

So after all that I was right with my first post by saying you need to take about 30% off of the flow rate over 10ft

Sam I wish people had more faith in my on this forum

I have been in this game a looooooooong time

Back
Top Bottom