Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Heater

Hi,
I received a used heater awhile ago and Ive never put it in with my fish before. I cleaned it in a bleach solution and now im thinking about putting it in with my betta to stabilize his water temperature. Usually the room he is in is pretty warm so Ive never felt the need to use it....that is, until my mom took a liking to opening the window to let the fresh (and cold) air in. To get back to the point. I want to put this heater in with my betta but im not sure how to set it to the right temperature. There is a dial on the top that says lower, higher for each direction. Do i just pop it in the water and read the thermometer in the water to gauge to temp and then adjust the heater until the water is the right temp? Because that seems like im just asking for heinous temperature levels until I get the proper temperature......Is there an easier and less potently dangerous way of doing this?

Old 05-31-2004, 10:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

You could always get a container about the same size as your betta tank and set the temperature in there. This would put no stress on the fish.
HTH
tmcgee

Old 05-31-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most heaters have settings that go well below where you want them. Even if your heater were set to 65 degrees to begin with, your water will never get below room temp, as the heater won't cool the water down. So if you put the heater all the way to the bottom setting, and then put it in the aquarium, and then moved it up a couple degrees a day, then watched your thermometer as you did so, that would seem safe to me.

Just a note from recent experience: NEVER allow the heater to be outside of water while plugged in even for a second. I blew mine up earlier this week by doing that.

Paul
Old 05-31-2004, 11:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
oh thats why 8P. i have a submergable one. ive kept like the top 1/3 out of the water for like 3 days and its fine.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
sugarloves. if yours is the kind that just says more or less, here is what you will want to do.

when the temp of the tank is where you want it, put the heater in and let it sit for approx 10 minutes. plug it in. if the light in the heater is on, keep turning the knob down until it turns off. if the light isn't on, just start at this step. turn the knob up until just as the light comes on. turn it down very slowly, as soon as the light turns off, that's where you want it.

assuming the heater is funtioning correctly, the light will turn on if/when the temp drops, which means the heater is on and it's... heating. heh. good luck!

-brent

edit: 2 things. thourougly rinse the thermometer since you washed it in bleach. over, and over, and over again. then do it some more. and then clean it off with some dechlorinator.

also, if your house is just too cold now and the temp isn't where you want it, what you will want to do is like you said. put the heater in, and turn it JUST until the light comes on, don't go much further. leave it for approx an hour, and then do it again. until you raise the temp to where you want it, and then it should be set.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Flipz, thats a really good idea and Im not sure why it didnt occur to me before. Ha ha

I have a second question for you guys. My betta is in a fairly small tank about a gallon or a little more. I know, I know, too small....but Im saving working on getting a 10 gallon right now. I turned the heater on in my hand for a second (before reading pkremer's post) and it got stupidly hot within seconds. Im not sure if this is normal....wont it burn my fish if he gets too close to it? He is very curious and often likes to poke around at new objects. Also, its a hagen Radiant heater 8 inches long...which i believe is for a 10 gallon tank. Is this too much for my small amount of water?

Thanks a lot you guys.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, you only want 5 watts per gallon. So you would really only want a 5 watt heater. It is possible that the heater will go very low though, which may work for your tank. It is very possible for fish to get burned on the heater, and it's not a very pretty picture.

It's really dependent on the heater. Personally on my very first 5 gallon tank I got a 50 watt heater (before I knew the 5 watts per gallon rule) and followed the directions exactly (the deal with the light and all) and it heated the tank up to the 90's in the lowest setting. Immediatly went and got a 25 watt, and it worked beautifully. That's just that brand though (couldn't tell you what it was). Others may be able to do it as I know many people have heaters that are really "overkill" for their tanks.

-brent
Old 06-01-2004, 02:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't have a lot of experience with aquarium heaters, but I have recently had two semesters of thermodynamics. I don't think too big of a heater would be a problem. The heater will have the same surface area contact with water no matter what the size the aquarium is. When the water in contact with the heater goes above a certain temp, the heater should turn off.

A heater too big for the aquarium will definitely heat up the entire aquarium much, much faster. Be cautious turning the temp up and check it often.
Quote:
wont it burn my fish if he gets too close to it?
No it won't burn your fish. Water conducts heat much faster than air. This means the heater surface will be much cooler when it is in water.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbaz
No it won't burn your fish. Water conducts heat much faster than air. This means the heater surface will be much cooler when it is in water.
umm, no offense but you are way wrong. yes it will cool faster, but if you touch the heater it will still be hot. it is possible for a fish to get burned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvuscorax
Some fish (if not all, I'm not sure) can't really feel heat like we do and can get burned by the heater, I've seen that happen before. It leaves a wound-looking mark, which may or may not heal depending on the severity of it.
And he's an advisor, I don't think he would give out bad information. Not to mention you can view pics and other info for yourself just by using the search.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...ht=heater+burn

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but don't state something as a FACT when it's absolutely not true. You can give your opinion of course, but you can't just say no, that won't happen.

-brent
Old 06-02-2004, 01:39 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the correction flipz, I was unaware of that.

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com