Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bouncer36

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I’m starting up a freshwater fish tank
I bought a heater that is a 300w. Is that too much for a 55 gallon tank?

Yeah should be fine. Just keep it at the temperature you want. Around 78 is best for most fish.

I would check the temperature with a temperature gauge just to make sure the water temp is 78. I have a 300 watt in a 55 gallon and it is never the same as the set temperature on the heater.
Food for thought
Just set at 78 then ok

I would check the temperature with a temperature gauge just to make sure the water temp is 78. I have a 300 watt in a 55 gallon and it is never the same as the set temperature on the heater.
Food for thought

This is good advice: you should always calibrate your heater. Also consider getting an external controller that can shut off your heater if it should get "stuck on."

I would use 2 thermometers that read the same and set the heater to whatever temp you want according to the 2 thermometers no matter what the heater dial says . I also second using a controller . I use them on all my tanks . I DIYed mine but you can get them pre-made . Look at these .....https://inkbird.shop/collections/temperature-controller

Yea I was thinking about getting one of those. I have one on my gecko tank

How do you calibrate it

Set the heater for the temp you want, then, when the "on" light goes off, check the temperature with an accurate device - I've used a thermopen and a handheld infrared thermometer. Both have worked fine. If there's a difference, you can adjust the heater dial to get the temp you want.

Back
Top Bottom