Heater acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steelerfish412

Aquarium Advice Regular
So last night when my tank lights went out I noticed my heater was glowing red and didn't think anything of it. About 15 minutes later I look and it is still glowing. I take a look at the temp and was a little over 90!!! I started messing with the heater and it finally turned off. I'm gonna get another today prolly from Walmart since its Easter and everyone is closed. How bad is this for my fish and is there anything I can do? I have a 55 malawi tank and it is usually right around 80 degrees

Well, the rise in temperature stressed them a lot. There's no doubt to that. You could have lost some fish, now if the temperature dropped back again, that's even worst. So they might be in shock or in a stressed condition, so keeping the lights closed and keeping they're temperature stable is very important.
If they are still alive, just make sure not to add any additional stress on them.

The temp did go back down it was like my heater never clicked off when it turned on. I haven't lost any of them yet ( fingers crossed ) they actually look normal my algae eaters were freakin out tho last night. Should I add some stress coat

The temp did go back down it was like my heater never clicked off when it turned on. I haven't lost any of them yet ( fingers crossed ) they actually look normal my algae eaters were freakin out tho last night. Should I add some stress coat
You're call. But if your gonna go get a heater today, soon, then it should be fine. If you think they need it, then you can add it.

Well I just wanna get rid of this one and get another one. I might wait til tomorrow so i can have a better selection than walmart it's keepin it steady now I just don't want that to happen again. It sucks I gave my extra heater to my friend like a month ago too

If you can keep it at 80 degrees for a day, it should be fine. Minor changes up to 2degrees are gonna be fine temporarily.

Petsmart was actually open today and I picked up a 200 w fluval it's nice but not fully submersible like my other. The only thing I don't like is u have two lines for the water to be between and it won't fit flush with the top of the tank cuz of the lid around the tank

Petsmart was actually open today and I picked up a 200 w fluval it's nice but not fully submersible like my other. The only thing I don't like is u have two lines for the water to be between and it won't fit flush with the top of the tank cuz of the lid around the tank
Could you show me a picture?

I tried that and it won't stay in the clamp when I do. If the clamps came out a lil further it would work. U can't tell by the pic but the top is leaning out cuz the suction cups hold it tight to the glass

I tried that and it won't stay in the clamp when I do. If the clamps came out a lil further it would work. U can't tell by the pic but the top is leaning out cuz the suction cups hold it tight to the glass
Hmm. Maybe try getting the old suction cups from you're old heater and using those?

I just read some reviews on it and a lot of people are saying to fully submerge it. It says that it only has the water lines for some legal reasons or something like that and I'm pretty pissed cuz I way overpaid for it too. I coulda got two off of amazon for the price I paid.

I just read some reviews on it and a lot of people are saying to fully submerge it. It says that it only has the water lines for some legal reasons or something like that and I'm pretty pissed cuz I way overpaid for it too. I coulda got two off of amazon for the price I paid.
Yes, I read about that too since I live in canada they have the same restrictions. I suggest not submersing it though, as corrosion might destroy the interior and fry you're fish. It's a precaution to take.

Your fish should be fine. I had my heater switched way to high and it got to over 90. I cooled it back to 80 over a few hours and everyone is fine. I like the aqueon pro heaters

Return it and get two 100w heaters. The next time one breaks it won't be nearly as big of a deal. If it gets stuck on it can't heat the tank up as fast and if it gets stuck off the other one can pick up the slack until you notice.

Sounds like your heater jammed on, which is pretty common with 'cheaper' brands. I would go for a good brand and maybe kept a cheap one as a spare...

Return it and get two 100w heaters. The next time one breaks it won't be nearly as big of a deal. If it gets stuck on it can't heat the tank up as fast and if it gets stuck off the other one can pick up the slack until you notice.

Sounds like sound advice to me ...

Back
Top Bottom