Heater advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Trooper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys, i need some heater advice as i am getting different suggestions everywhere i look.

I have a 215l tank that i am in the process of setting up, it doesn't have any water yet, i need to get [a] heater for it but i don't know what route to go down.

I've read all sorts that 1 heater is better than 2 and vice versa, and various things on wattage to.

So my question to you experienced fish keepers is simple, what size, brand and number of heaters should i get?

Thanking you!

Hi guys, i need some heater advice as i am getting different suggestions everywhere i look.

I have a 215l tank that i am in the process of setting up, it doesn't have any water yet, i need to get [a] heater for it but i don't know what route to go down.

I've read all sorts that 1 heater is better than 2 and vice versa, and various things on wattage to.

So my question to you experienced fish keepers is simple, what size, brand and number of heaters should i get?

Thanking you!

The general rule for heaters is 1watt per litre. In your case your would need a 300w. If you minus the gravel and décor, you probably come in below 200ltrs, so you could get away with a 200w but a little bigger is better. Especially with the weather we get on this side of the pond. Some people like to have 2 heaters(eg 2x150w), so if one breaks they have something to maintain the temp until they get another. I just go with one large one as I have plenty of spares laying around. I personally love the Fluval E series heaters. Very good brand name, very reliable, very advanced and they look good too. I use the 300w in my 200ltr. If I went with the 200w, they tend to come on more often and with our weather, it would be on constantly...haha. Here's a video about them.....

FLUVAL E Series Aquarium Heaters - YouTube

I have a 200w aqueon pro in my 55g and it has no problems keeping my tank at 79 degrees. Even on 0 degree nights.

I've opted for one of those fluval 300w, i had a friend telling me I need at least 500w which is what caused a lot of the confusion! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom