Heater Blow Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjcatlin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last night the heater in my Fluval Spec V blew up and caught fire. I only had one fish in the tank, a clownfish. He died :(, I assume from the toxins from the heater. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have had this type of thing happen and if so should I be able to clean my sand and live rock with normal water to remove any residual toxins.

Wow, that is a very scary thing to have happen and sad too. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your little fish.

I am not sure of the metals used inside of a heater, but I would imagine it would be pretty much not good for fish.

You may want to completely change everything in the tank and I use baking soda and vinegar to clean a tank when empty, also a mr. clean magic eraser or generic one. Plenty of rinsing after, around the rim and edges as well, lots more rinsing.

Then after all that maybe do a test with some snails to see if they survive.

Do you have any idea what happened / why it caught on fire?

I know what caused it to blow up. Honestly it was neglect. I had the heater in the sump portion of the filter section and the filter was clogged an the water level got too low in the sump.

I go through spells when I don't want to do anything to my tanks. Almost burning down my house has kinda made me reconsider such a thing.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol. I hear you. Just get busy with other things in life and the hobby takes a back seat.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom