Heater Brand Recommendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairghum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking for suggestions on the best heater for my 40 and 46 gal tanks. I've always used Visi-Therms and had no problems. The 40 I bought (used) came with a Stealth and it quit on me (but, it was bought several years ago). I thought that Stealth was supposed to be the best. What do you think?

I use a 150w RenaSMART heater. I love it and it's unbreakable.. or so it says. No complaints and it keeps my water temp at a nice 78-80 degrees. It wasn't expensive at all either.

I thought that Stealth was supposed to be the best. What do you think?
I thought that too... the visi-therm stealth was a good heater. the stealth pro's seem to be having lots of issues lately. If you go with a visi-therm or visi-therm stealth, you'll have a good heater for sure. I have a stealth pro and have had no problems (knock on wood), but others have. Marineland will make it right and stand by their warranty, but I dont think I'll be buying another stealth pro until they get all these issues worked out.

I thought that too... the visi-therm stealth was a good heater. the stealth pro's seem to be having lots of issues lately. If you go with a visi-therm or visi-therm stealth, you'll have a good heater for sure. I have a stealth pro and have had no problems (knock on wood), but others have. Marineland will make it right and stand by their warranty, but I dont think I'll be buying another stealth pro until they get all these issues worked out.

Ditto. I've used the glass Visi-them Deluxe with no real issue. Had one that went bad on me but was replaced with no problems. Same with the OLD Stealths, but didn't like the Stealths in my display tank because of the lack of a on/off light. So when the new Pro Stealths came out that had an off/on light, bought one (100W) to try out. I'd heard of issues with the Pros, but thought it was isolated to the larger Wattage heaters. Guess that isn't the case as my Stealth Pro only lasted a week before pooping out on me. Won't turn on to heat no matter what the thermostat is set for. Funny thing though is that even when it's "off" and the green light shows that its not heating, it's still drawing 50W and feels pretty warm. At least mine didn't blow up, so I guess I should be happy? :rolleyes:

I'll be sending this one back for a replacement, but I'd sure rather have my money back. Only place a Stealth Pro will be going in my house is in my water storage container! I don't trust these things anymore and won't be buying that brand anymore. Too bad someone decided to "improve" upon something.

Most heaters today fail in the OFF position to avoid cooking your tank.
Even though both my titanium heaters are on a controller I still check the tank temp at least once a day to make sure they are working.

Visi-Therm

I decided to go with the 200w Visi-Therm. I've had them in the past and never had any problems. FYI, I did call Marineland and they said the Stealth that I had that went bad was covered under warranty. I think the lady said I had to have the original receipt (which I don't), but I'll send it back anyway and see what happens.

My 250 watt stealth went out about 3 weeks ago. I called Marineland and they offered to send 2 100 watt heaters right away or I could wait for 2 weeks. It arrived today, packaged like it was fine Crystal. No receipt just the numbers off the old one.

Back
Top Bottom