Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heater for 29 gallon tropical freshwater aquarium

My understanding is that 150 watts should do and the submersible is best.

I found this one and would like any comments or suggestions.

Orlushy Submersible Aquarium Heater with Adjust Knob Thermostat, 2 Suction Cups and Free Thermometer

https://www.amazon.com/Orlushy-Subme...gateway&sr=8-6

For the price, it looks like a heck of a deal. 4 star rated on Amazon

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. When I did a search for heaters, it appears this general subject has been almost a "dead issue" for a while.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I stick with the brands I am familiar with as in the past have has a couple bad experiences.

The 100W would be a more appropriate size. But since I have had a couple issues over the years, I tend to get the smaller sizes and get 2. For a larger sized tank usually, 2 which would equal what you would need for the size. That way if one goes off the charts overheating, it might not necessarily cook the tank.

For a 29G I have used a smaller heater. Heater issues were more of an issue years ago with some faulty manufacturing. A few other issues are when a heater is mistakenly left on in an airspace, not water, like setting it on the floor/counter being removed from a tank working on a tank or doing a huge pwc and not unplugging it and taking out the water, with the heater getting really hot. It can damage the heater.

Some are made with an automatic shut off if going above certain temperatures. But that also means it would not be able to be used after that. So always keep your receipt and test the new heater over 1 or 2 days to make sure it heats accurately.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree , get 2 smaller heaters and I strongly urge you to get a controller like an Inkbird . You can DIY one or get one ready to go .
Old 07-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the advice both of you

I appreciate it and will take your advice.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you got your tank at room temp then a 150w is more than enough. The cheap one's on Amazon seem to work as long as the more expensive one's. Running two 75w heaters would work and gives you an extra in case one goes out.

Get the ones that you can adjust the temp and aren't preset. Keep a thermometer of some sort in the tank as a gauge because the heater readings on the heater itself almost never match actual tank temp.

Tags
29 gallon, aquarium, ate, eat, eater, fresh, freshwater, freshwater aquarium, gallon, heat, heater, pic, tropical, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com