Heater for 29 gallon tropical freshwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul1792

Aquarium Advice Freak
My understanding is that 150 watts should do and the submersible is best.

I found this one and would like any comments or suggestions.

Orlushy Submersible Aquarium Heater with Adjust Knob Thermostat, 2 Suction Cups and Free Thermometer

https://www.amazon.com/Orlushy-Subm...ater+150+watt&qid=1562246987&s=gateway&sr=8-6

For the price, it looks like a heck of a deal. 4 star rated on Amazon

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. When I did a search for heaters, it appears this general subject has been almost a "dead issue" for a while.

I stick with the brands I am familiar with as in the past have has a couple bad experiences.

The 100W would be a more appropriate size. But since I have had a couple issues over the years, I tend to get the smaller sizes and get 2. For a larger sized tank usually, 2 which would equal what you would need for the size. That way if one goes off the charts overheating, it might not necessarily cook the tank.

For a 29G I have used a smaller heater. Heater issues were more of an issue years ago with some faulty manufacturing. A few other issues are when a heater is mistakenly left on in an airspace, not water, like setting it on the floor/counter being removed from a tank working on a tank or doing a huge pwc and not unplugging it and taking out the water, with the heater getting really hot. It can damage the heater.

Some are made with an automatic shut off if going above certain temperatures. But that also means it would not be able to be used after that. So always keep your receipt and test the new heater over 1 or 2 days to make sure it heats accurately.

I agree , get 2 smaller heaters and I strongly urge you to get a controller like an Inkbird . You can DIY one or get one ready to go .

If you got your tank at room temp then a 150w is more than enough. The cheap one's on Amazon seem to work as long as the more expensive one's. Running two 75w heaters would work and gives you an extra in case one goes out.

Get the ones that you can adjust the temp and aren't preset. Keep a thermometer of some sort in the tank as a gauge because the heater readings on the heater itself almost never match actual tank temp.

Back
Top Bottom