Heater for a 55 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skeeter4158098

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now I have a Aqueon pro 150 heater. The dial is set at 82-84. I have two sticker thermometer that both read 78. My question is. Is it to small for my tank. I bought it online from PETCO and my local store says that they will exchange it (plus the difference) for a larger one say a pro 200 heater. Should I switch or am I ok?

Any ideas?

I have the same model and have had no problems with the temp setting being different than a thermometer reading. I have always been skeptical of the sticker ones, and currently have a glass one in my 55. It could just be a lemon, and not the fact that it is too small.

How can I check it to make sure that it is working and will continue to work properly before time runs out to take ot bag?

do you plan on keeping the temp that high? (82-84?) If so I would probably bump up to the 200w on a 55 gallon tank. In the winter if your temps inside get a few degrees below 70, then it might be fighting a little bit to keep temps that high with a 150w.

I am basing this off the little chart that came with my aqueon pro.

I would get one of the little thermometers that goes in the tank to double check the temp as well....

I have it that high so the temp says 78. - 80. Is what i was told I should keep the tank heat at.

hmm....I would think it should be able to keep up with that unless your house is really cold.

I would double check with an in the tank thermometer first.

I don't own a 55 gallon, but I did upgrade to the larger size heater on my 29 (150w) just so it could keep up if a) my heater in my house broke and my house was cold and b) I would have enough power if I needed to jack up the heat to treat an ich outbreak or something...just something to consider even if it turns out the problem is the sticky thermometers....

I would say you could lower your temp. I keep mine at between 74-76 and have heard nothing bad about it. Pugmom brought up a good point in the ich outbreak. You will want to have enough power to bump up the temp in that event. With the description you gave of how your heater is acting, I would say return it. Whether or not to upgrade to a more powerful heater is your choice.

But you should get a more reliable thermometer to help you out. The little glass ones that are a few bucks work fine. Just make sure you put them as far away from the heater as possible to get the lowest possible temp for your tank.

I would keep it at 78 or lower if you can. Ideal reef temperatures are 72-78F, although periods of warmer water will do no harm.

I have 3 50W heaters. Just in case one or two of them go out it won't be a disaster.

Get a digital thermometer to test the temperature. I got a nice one from drs foster and smith for like $7. Temperature probe and big display.

scottayy said:
I would keep it at 78 or lower if you can. Ideal reef temperatures are 72-78F, although periods of warmer water will do no harm.

I have 3 50W heaters. Just in case one or two of them go out it won't be a disaster.

Get a digital thermometer to test the temperature. I got a nice one from drs foster and smith for like $7. Temperature probe and big display.

When you digital. Do mean one that mounts in the tank? I have seen ones on a few web sites are they a good idea? Or just go with a glass one? The reason I haven't got a glass one yet is because I have heard if they break then they can release the mercury in the tank?

scottayy said:
Digital is just easier to read, and more accurate than ones that stick on the outside of the tank. Plus it's always on. Yeah, the glass always has the risk of breaking.

This is what I ordered:
Aquarium Water Temperature: Coralife Digital Thermometer

Thats the same one I was looking at. Lol. Do you ever have any problems with it? Or with your fish playing with it?

I have it in my sump so no fish playing with it. Only had it for a few days now.. can't really comment on problems with it lol.

so new issue or question with my heater a Aqueon pro 150 heater is that it has the light that changes from red when it is heating to green when it should be at temp well. When it is at green and even just by touch alone the water is way warmer then when the light is red and it is supposed to be heating. So does thin indicate that A. I need a bigger heater (I have heard that a bigger heater will not have to struggle with keeping the water temp up. B. Get a second 150 to put on the other side of the tank so it does not have to work so hard to heat that much of the tank.

Any ideas?

So just went ahead and swapped out the Aqueon pro 150 heater for Aqueon pro 200 heater heating up now so we will see if it makes much difference. Also broke down and got one of those in tank stand up thermometers. So now I have 2 stickers and the stand up one. If all else fails will just get a digital thermometer. Also have the intake thermometer on the other side of the tank then the heater is on.

I wouldn't be concerned with it if that was the peak reading. But yeah, it should be lower. You might not be able to get it lower (without cooling) due to room temperature and the heat put off by the pumps and stuff. But, turn the heater down 2 degrees and see if it goes down to 78.

Right now I have a Aqueon pro 150 heater. The dial is set at 82-84. I have two sticker thermometer that both read 78. My question is. Is it to small for my tank. I bought it online from PETCO and my local store says that they will exchange it (plus the difference) for a larger one say a pro 200 heater. Should I switch or am I ok?

Any ideas?

Good trick to test the thermometer probe for accurate reading stick it in a cup of ice full then add cold water should read 32 degrees if higher you know the heater is defective and should exchange it other than that you dont need a larger heater that one is fine.

Back
Top Bottom