Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2015, 04:09 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Actually all my permanent current tanks use canister filters with external inline Hydor ETH heaters attached to external heater controllers. The heater controllers are expensive ($80+) but I trust them better and they are more accurate than the heaters themselves for regulating the temperature. They also have large LEDs numbers showing the actual tank temperatures which show in the dark and make it easy to view all my tanks at a glance.

I was more interested in the Neotherms for temporary tank setups like for quarantines or treating illness. I thought they would be cheaper than having some extra controllers around. The last thing I would want is to have problems with them.

I sent a message off to Cobalt to ask about their past problems and whether everything is now rectified and if they could tell me what batches were actually effected.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

So if I understand the heater controllers correctly they have emergency shut off in case the heater gets stuck on? I have no experience with inline heaters or controllers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use these.......

Aquarium Heating & Temperature Control: Azoo Micro Temp Controller

Not too pricey . I have been using them for over 6 months with no problems.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

So did you just have to get use to Celsius? I think I'd get mixed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I get mixed up too....lol I have a Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion program on my computer so no biggie. The controller is mainly for the safeguards anyway . It is supposed to default to 26C , but I have seen other posts say it will stay wherever you set it. I have not tried to see , I just leave it at 26C.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I use these JBJ heater controllers:

Aquarium Heating & Temperature Control: JBJ True Temp Digital Heater Controller

They are more expensive ($80) than the Azoo models ($25). They have a longer (replaceable) temperature probes (60") compared to Azoo (29"). They can be calibrated, retain setting information in power outage and have larger LED numbers for viewing, and can handle up to 1000w total (800w on Azoo) and uses all digital circuitry (no metal thermostat)s.

When you use a heater controller you plug the actual heaters into the controller and plug the controller into the wall. You then set the tank temperature you want maintained on the controller. You then set the heater thermostats a few degrees higher so that they are always on. The controller then actually sends power to the heaters when the tank temperature needs to be raised. This way the thermostat in the heaters is never reached as power will be shut off to them first. So the heater thermostats are never cycled, never wear out, and cannot stick on (it would not matter if they stuck on anyways).

Personally I like to use to two or more smaller inline heaters as I have multiple canisters on all my tanks and I get better heat circulation. They all connect back to the same tank controller (one for each tank) and that way all the heaters for a tank are always on or off at the same time.

I would much rather trust a more expensive digital heater controller to control the tank temperatures then a bunch of cheap metal heater thermostats that wear out over time. I have never had a problem with these heater controllers in many years of use.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:50 AM   #17

POTM Champion

Finnex titanium heaters, bruh

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 10-04-2015, 02:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

These look like nice heaters but with a heater controller the actual heaters become a commodity item as most of the money is in the controller. You just need something to power that generates some heat in the tank.

I like my heater controllers because I can look into the rooms with my tanks and I can clearly see the temperature of each tank whether the lights are on or off. I instantly know if there is a problem with a tank temperature or whether the power is off for some reason in a tank.

Since I only use inline external heaters which are positioned out of site behind the tanks it is easy to tell if there is every a problem with one.

I am sure the Finnex heaters are fine if you want a in tank heater.......

Tags
ate, eat, eater, fresh, freshwater, heat, heater, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com