Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

heater for salt mix?

what is everyone using to heat their salt mixes up? tap water here is 60-65*f. i dont want to run hot water through my ro/di filter.

seems like it takes forever for my fluval m 300w to get it up to temp. that and its glass (worried about it breaking) and its not fully submersible.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I mix mine in a 10g tank for right now. I usually let my RO/DI water sit out and get up to room temp, then put it in the 10g and start mixing... once the cheap little glass thermometer gets matched to the water temp, I plug it in and let it mix overnight.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

and what sort of set up where you looking to upgrade to?

ive got a 20 gallon brute. one can is not enough to do a 10% water change on both of the 40 breeders we have. and certainly lacking on the 125. was thinking about getting a 55gallon brute for the salt mix and keeping the 20 for freshwater.

i can only imagine how long it would take to heat that up.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use a 32g brute can for my setup right now. I am gonna be buying a new RO/DI unit very soon and was going to get another brute trash can and setup a real water making station. LOL I use one whole brute full of water for my 125g and another brute full for the rest of my tanks. I also keep 4 5g jugs of plain water stored in a closet indoors where its warm enough to use in an emergency. Hope i was somewhat helpful.

In fact right now I'm mixing water in the brute for some mad water changes in a few hours and I have a aqueon 250w heater that i put in when I put in the salt this morning and a koralia 750 mixing it. It seems to take less than 2-3 hours for the whole can to achieve my set temperature which is about 15-20 degrees warmer than the starting temperature of the water.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

i guess my heater takes about 3-4 hours to heat up my 20 gallon brute. i was looking at a jager 200w or 150w heater today. said it can be mounted horizontally. figured that would be better for me if i started heating when the water level was really low. and when i get that 44 gallon brute ive been eye balling it would still work for that.

sound like a plan?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sounds good to me.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

this is what i have been using. one in my main tank and another to mix salt. i don't think you could beat them for the price.

Finnex HMA Heater Series - English
Old 01-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am using a rubbermaid 20gal. tote for my R/O water then when I mix my salt I store it in a 32gal rubbermaid brute trash can. I have a koralia 550 in it for circulation and a 150 watt heater in the bottom and it sits overnight to mix before I can put it in the tank. The heater after 24 hours has the 32gal trash can up to 80 degrees. Works out great.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

thank you all.

Tags
eat, eater, heater, salt, salt mix

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com