Heater has not enough capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
My aquarium stays at about 78F although I have it set already on 82F. Ok, I got a 70 gal with a 250W heater. After that 5wpg rule for heater I need about 100W more.

So how do you guys do that? I havent seen a 350W heater so far. Can I just add another 100W heater and it'll be fine? Sorry :oops: , never had such a "big" aquarium :lol: .

I have two 300 watt heaters running on my 75 gal. I would suggest doing the same. It helps balance the entire water column and doesn't put a strain on one.

Also, when using 2 heaters, get the tank to the temperature desired, then turn both the heaters up so the pilot lights go on. THen slow turn each of them down until the light goes off. That way both heaters will be set at the same temperature, and you don't have one working away to raise the tank that 1 or 2 degrees, and the otherone only kicking in when the first has been working away and failing at raising the temperature.

I want a 75 gallon now. And i haven't even gotten my 44 yet :-(

I disagree. 250w should be plenty.
ime a 300w is plenty for even a 120gallon.
have it near your filter "out" flow and it'll get to the entire tank pretty quickly.
just my thoughts anyway...

Matt.

The general guideline is 5 wpg. I would use two heaters of the same (or close to) watts. As mentioned by sudz, the one heater won't be working so hard. We have three 250 Watt heaters on our 150 gal tank.

WOW, First time I heard the 5WPG rule for heaters, Is this true I only have two 200 watt heaters in the sump on my 210. Keeps it about 78'F now that the temp is dropping into the mid fourties at night. Um, who sells a 1000 watt heater?

lemonheadmech said:
WOW, First time I heard the 5WPG rule for heaters, Is this true I only have two 200 watt heaters in the sump on my 210. Keeps it about 78'F now that the temp is dropping into the mid fourties at night. Um, who sells a 1000 watt heater?

What size is your sump? Your heaters are probably enough for it. One of the other reasons for the sump and heating at that location is you have a constant flow, thereby maintaining the temp in the tank.

What size is your sump?
JC its a 30 gal turned into wetdry/sump. Its got a pump chamber, chemical chamber, and the other half is the bio filter with the mechanical filter mat. Take a peek picture in gallery.

So both close to the filter outlet or one on the filter outlet one on the other side of the tank? (filter outlet left with heater, intake right with CO2 reactor and thermometer)

IMO 5 watts per gallon is kind of a safe rule of thumb. Obviously if the tank is in your basement, which is typically a lot cooler than say, a bedroom or kitchen, you will need more heating. I was contemplating a 150 watt for my new 44 gallon, because my bedroom is fairly warm (typically at 74*f) so the heaters won't have to work so hard. I bumped myself up to 200 watts when i realized i sometimes have the habit of leaving my window open a crack at winter (like last night) and now my room is freezing, first thing in the morning. (sure makes it hard to get out of bed!)

I also saw a guideline that based watts-needed by difference between room and water temperature. I'll try and find it again.

Tiffi said:
So both close to the filter outlet or one on the filter outlet one on the other side of the tank? (filter outlet left with heater, intake right with CO2 reactor and thermometer)

Yes, place one at each end of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom