Heater in filter compartment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimmethatfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have the 4G Fluval View as my desktop tank at work with a betta in it. I have a small 25W adjustable heater in the filter compartment - it's kind of a trap-door behind the tank basically where the water circulates from the bottom of the tank and then kind of waterfalls out the top. It has been keeping the water at a great, steady temperature. Someone randomly asked me if it was "ok" to keep the heater in there and I was like yeah sure why not? But now doubt is eating at me. I can't imagine any reason why it wouldn't be good to have it in there, can you? It gets the most possible water circulation in there. It's not pressing against the acrylic of the tank at all - the suction cups hold it in place. I think it's just fine? It has been working like that for a month.

I'm guessing heat will be lost in the fall. How much?? Not sure, but most likely enough to make a noticeable difference..

...but heat is always being lost from the water that way? Even if your heater is in the tank, that water then cycles through and loses some heat? I disagree! :p I don't think it would affect heat significantly. Maybe you could run a test and tell us :)

It will not make a difference. It is not unusual to put a heater in a sump filter either. The water is circulating, period. The warm water is not being concentrated and dumped into a cold tank. All the water is constantly moving.

Nope it indeed doesn't make a difference. Kept the water at 78 yesterday in the main compartment same as it does in the heater compartment. Good experiment!

Back
Top Bottom