heater is heating too well!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently bought a 150W Visi-Therm heater for my 55gal tank (had meant to get the Stealth version but oh well). This heater recommended for 40 gal tanks but sticking with the 2-3W per gallon rule, this should be fine for what I needed. The problem is that the thermostat is set at 72 but the water temp is about 77, been this way for about two days. My apartment is warm but not nearly this warm. Should I be concerned about this and consider returning it or just keep turning down the heat but monitor closely?

Thanks!

The temperature dial on heaters rarely match up with reality - even with really good heaters like you have. (I like the Visi-Therm brand... it's all I have.)

Since it sounds like you have a reliable thermometer in there since you know the tank is 77, slowly lower the thermostat dial on the heater until the heater is turning on/off at the correct temps per your thermometer. Use the thermometer to set the thermostat, not the numbers on the heater itself.

But before you do that, you might want to double check the accuracy of the thermometer you're using. Checking the temp of ice water (32 degree) and boiling water (212 deg) is always a safe bet.

slowly lower the thermostat dial on the heater until the heater is turning on/off at the correct temps per your thermometer. Use the thermometer to set the thermostat, not the numbers on the heater itself.

Thanks, that's roughly what I'd been trying to do since putting it in there (started out with near 82 when heater was set to 77) but I'd been a little worried about changing the temp too much at one time so it had just been a notch every other day. Just a little worrisome that a heater (they claim) was designed for a smaller tank is doing such a great job keeping mine toasty - I fear coming back next week and finding a tank of cooked fish:cry:

As for the thermometer's accuracy, it usually matches up fairly well with the little LCD taped stuck onto the aquarium but then we all know how accurate those are! I know the thermometer won't handle boiling (tops off around 160) and don't know that it will read that cold, but my boyfriend has several so I can compare with those.

i have a 100w heater in my 55 that keeps it perfect at 76... and its a cheap walmart brand! Most heaters will heat a tank much bigger than they are "optimally" designed for... only real problem is if you have fluxuating temps in the house, then you need the bigger heater to keep the tank temp stable. I wouldnt worry about having boiled fish... i have to keep the temp dial on 66 on my 150 with a 300w heater or it gets above 80...

I agree with the above statements that the dials are rarely accurate, however you will want to keep an eye on it for a while. I had a Topfin heater in my first tank. A 20 Gal, the heater started a few degrees above the setting then progressivly get worse. When I finally realized there was a problem with the heater my tank was over 90 degrees. Luckly did not lose the fish.

Moral of the story, keep an eye on it for a couple weeks.

Bear

Back
Top Bottom