Heater is quit, Temp low. HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairghum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gal tropical tank, and noticed about 45 min ago that the temp was down about 67. I was using a Stealth 120 in there. Have another heater but it's only a 50, but I put it in there anyway. Did take the 150 from my 46 gal and put it in the 40, plus took some water out and replaced with warm water. Also have put blankets over the 40 while it heats up. Any other suggestions? I have a gorgeous clown loach in there and I'm terrified something will happen to him.

Just make sure the temp goes back up slowly, so you don't stress him. And then send an e-mail to Marineland, with all the numbers off the heater, and they should send you a replacement ASAP. :)

If you have a powerhead in there, aim it at the heater so you are blowing the heated water across the tank. 67 isn't that bad for a tropical tank, everything should be fine. If this is a newer Stealth Pro model, there are known problems with them, if an older model, it may have just seen its days. Just go grab a new heater and be done with it.

Thanks!!!

I appreciate the responses, especially at midnight! The temp is back up in the 40, and the 46 went down to just below 70. I'm working on it. Keep your fingers crossed that the fish come through ok. Is there any kind of treatment I should be doing as a precaution for them?

Nope no treatment besides a new heater if needed. Don't add anything to the water that says it reduces stress because it will only screw up your water chemistry.

if it is a Stealth Pro model, they have been known to die... even explode.... just get a new heater.. they are cheap enough.

+1 for raising the temp slow... not sure what you normally keep your tank at but im sure someone could point out a good time span? maybe 1 degree ever few hours?

That temp shouldn't be a problem especially for the short term. Why is it so cold there? I disagree with raising the temp slowly. If the temp is low enough to cause a problem raising it slowly will only increase the problem. I recently had an incident where water was left running slowly on a tank for top up, and when it was noticed that it ws still going a few hours later, the angels, cories and BN where on their backs and not breathing. I quickly removed half the water and and added 85 degree water. They all survived and are doing fine.

WOW, Bill and thanks to all

That's an incredible story about reviving your fish! I live in Central Oregon and it got down to freezing last night. I did see on Marineland's website that their heaters are guaranteed (and this is an old one) so I think it's worth a call to them to see if they'll replace it.

Both tanks are in the "green zone" as of mid-morning. Now I'm just hoping they'll be ok. Thanks for the tip on not putting anything in the water (such as a de-stressor). I have a clown loach and lots of cories, so I wouldn't want to distress them any more than I have.

Thanks again to all who posted.

I just had to get a replacement from Marineland, just make sure and save yourself some time by sending the numbers from the heater in the first e-mail, since it will save about 3 days.
I live in E. Wash, and it is cold here too, and I am having trouble keeping a couple of my tanks at 78-80*. :(

I called their 800 number this afternoon, but the tech support folks had gone for the day. Person that I spoke with told me to call in the morning. I'm expecting them to say they won't replace it (they don't even make a 110 anymore), but I figured it was worth a try.

They will. They replaced mine when it overheated to 97*, and a guys I know too. His were just covered in hard water, and he didn't want to clean it off LOL.

Back
Top Bottom