Heater... Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really?? I'll take it back then.

Yes, really.

Dont risk it. Its not worth it and if that heater is zonky now, wait until it REALLY goes.

I lost a bunch of tankmates in September. My heater, which was less than 6 months old, even though it was set on 76f, decided to give up the ghost and heat the tank to 103f :( Trust me, its NOT worth it. Return it today and get a new one.

It's not unusual for a heater to have the wrong reading, the important thing is that it holds the temperature.

That has nothing to do with whether the heater is dysfunctional or not, it's a common thing with several brands.

I have glass thermometers in all of my heated tanks just to make sure I have it where it needs to be.

It's not unusual for a heater to have the wrong reading, the important thing is that it holds the temperature.

That has nothing to do with whether the heater is dysfunctional or not, it's a common thing with several brands.

I have glass thermometers in all of my heated tanks just to make sure I have it where it needs to be.

FWIW, I wouldnt risk it. Heaters with a dysfunctional thermostat are more likely to have the thermostat fail completely. For the price of a heater (in this case the OP would be EXCHANGING it for free), I strongly recommend getting a heater that works accurately. I didnt just start using aquarium heaters yesterday either ; this advice comes from 22 years of experience ;)

I didn't assume that you had no experience with them, I just disagree that it's dysfunctional.

In my experience it's just inaccurate, and I've had over 10 ebo/eheim jager heaters that are always off by 2 to 5 degrees on the thermostat setting as well as multiple marineland visitherms, hydor theos, won brothers, and even some really old hang on types that have been inaccurate, and I've never found a correlation between that and the heaters functionality.

Just different experiences I guess, it's all good either way.

Chriznat20 said:
FWIW, I wouldnt risk it. Heaters with a dysfunctional thermostat are more likely to have the thermostat fail completely. For the price of a heater (in this case the OP would be EXCHANGING it for free), I strongly recommend getting a heater that works accurately. I didnt just start using aquarium heaters yesterday either ; this advice comes from 22 years of experience ;)

The thermostat isn't defective. The calibration of the visual setting and the actual output is off. If the temp is stable them there is no problem, it's simply cost prohibitive for a manufacturer of any "cheap" product to ensure perfect calibration. This comes from 18 years in engineering and control systems design ;)

Well lets just agree on one thing, shall we?

For the cost of an aquarium heater, its not worth it to be in doubt of its performance, whether the thermostat is accurate dead on or not.

IME, Ive had two heaters malfunction completely in my years; the latter was a very highly recommended heater that cost more than the competing brands. Everybody said it was ok that the heater was a few degrees off. Then, one day I came home and despite the heater being about 6 months old, my tank was 103f :( It was set on 76f. Had I exchanged it then, when I realized the thermostat was off, maybe I wouldnt have lost the tankmates that I did. Looking back, I wish I would've trusted my gut and just exchanged it.

Therefore, I still side with safety and say if its still exchangeable, thats what I would do. YMMV and of course, its the OP's tank to do whatever he whats to do with it, freely.

Have a good day.

Your heater calibration being off followed by a subsequent failure are almost certainly unrelated.

KonvictKeeper said:
So should I return it or not?

That's your choice! If it were mine, I would be happy to keep using it, my heater is about 4 degrees off from the scale to what it actually heats the water to. If it keeps the temp stable then I personally don't see a problem.

It's really your call, if it helps you sleep better at night then by all means, but just giving personal experience that I have had a ton of them that are off on their settings and have never had a related problem.

ezy33 said:
Without something to move the water in your aquarium your heater will heat it's own space and not the entire system.

Untrue, a little something called convection. Hot water will rise, causing it to be replaced by cooler water, which will then be heated, will then rise and be replaced again by cooler water; rinse and repeat.

convection

Untrue, a little something called convection. Hot water will rise, causing it to be replaced by cooler water, which will then be heated, will then rise and be replaced again by cooler water; rinse and repeat.

IMO convection is slow. With a air stone or a power head the heated water will be moved through out the entire aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom