Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Chriznat20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonvictKeeper View Post
Really?? I'll take it back then.
Yes, really.

Dont risk it. Its not worth it and if that heater is zonky now, wait until it REALLY goes.

I lost a bunch of tankmates in September. My heater, which was less than 6 months old, even though it was set on 76f, decided to give up the ghost and heat the tank to 103f Trust me, its NOT worth it. Return it today and get a new one.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #22
come get me tang police!

It's not unusual for a heater to have the wrong reading, the important thing is that it holds the temperature.

That has nothing to do with whether the heater is dysfunctional or not, it's a common thing with several brands.

I have glass thermometers in all of my heated tanks just to make sure I have it where it needs to be.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
It's not unusual for a heater to have the wrong reading, the important thing is that it holds the temperature.

That has nothing to do with whether the heater is dysfunctional or not, it's a common thing with several brands.

I have glass thermometers in all of my heated tanks just to make sure I have it where it needs to be.
FWIW, I wouldnt risk it. Heaters with a dysfunctional thermostat are more likely to have the thermostat fail completely. For the price of a heater (in this case the OP would be EXCHANGING it for free), I strongly recommend getting a heater that works accurately. I didnt just start using aquarium heaters yesterday either ; this advice comes from 22 years of experience
Old 11-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #24
come get me tang police!

I didn't assume that you had no experience with them, I just disagree that it's dysfunctional.

In my experience it's just inaccurate, and I've had over 10 ebo/eheim jager heaters that are always off by 2 to 5 degrees on the thermostat setting as well as multiple marineland visitherms, hydor theos, won brothers, and even some really old hang on types that have been inaccurate, and I've never found a correlation between that and the heaters functionality.

Just different experiences I guess, it's all good either way.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriznat20

FWIW, I wouldnt risk it. Heaters with a dysfunctional thermostat are more likely to have the thermostat fail completely. For the price of a heater (in this case the OP would be EXCHANGING it for free), I strongly recommend getting a heater that works accurately. I didnt just start using aquarium heaters yesterday either ; this advice comes from 22 years of experience
The thermostat isn't defective. The calibration of the visual setting and the actual output is off. If the temp is stable them there is no problem, it's simply cost prohibitive for a manufacturer of any "cheap" product to ensure perfect calibration. This comes from 18 years in engineering and control systems design
Old 11-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well lets just agree on one thing, shall we?

For the cost of an aquarium heater, its not worth it to be in doubt of its performance, whether the thermostat is accurate dead on or not.

IME, Ive had two heaters malfunction completely in my years; the latter was a very highly recommended heater that cost more than the competing brands. Everybody said it was ok that the heater was a few degrees off. Then, one day I came home and despite the heater being about 6 months old, my tank was 103f It was set on 76f. Had I exchanged it then, when I realized the thermostat was off, maybe I wouldnt have lost the tankmates that I did. Looking back, I wish I would've trusted my gut and just exchanged it.

Therefore, I still side with safety and say if its still exchangeable, thats what I would do. YMMV and of course, its the OP's tank to do whatever he whats to do with it, freely.

Have a good day.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your heater calibration being off followed by a subsequent failure are almost certainly unrelated.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So should I return it or not?
1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
KonvictKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonvictKeeper
So should I return it or not?
That's your choice! If it were mine, I would be happy to keep using it, my heater is about 4 degrees off from the scale to what it actually heats the water to. If it keeps the temp stable then I personally don't see a problem.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well its been keeping it stable so I'll keep it.
BTW- There are no fish in the tank so I'll just watch it for a while and if something happens I'll take it back.

1.0 JD (JD Club #1!)
6.9 Guppies
0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
KonvictKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com